Removal of abscessed tooth but gum still swollen?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. Just after a bit of advice and reassurance really.

Back in April I developed a tooth infection due to a bad filling which resulted in an abscess. I wasn't in much pain but my gum was swollen. I was travelling at the time and ended up trying to ignore it as it was difficult and expensive to get treatment whilst travelling. I then developed a pimple on the gum (fistula). I finally went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and she said the tooth can't be saved so may as well extract it (btw, it was a second premolar). She didn't give me any antibiotics and she said she could easily numb me as my gum was swollen but nothing else. She was right and she only gave me 2 injections when I finally had it out last Thursday (one week ago) and it was an easy extraction. Again she didn't prescribe me antibiotics as the tooth came out with the abscess attached to the root (she showed me) and said my body was just clear up the rest of the infection itself as the source was removed. She then just sent me home and the extraction site is healing as it should. I've had to pain apart from the slight bruising usually associated with an extraction. The pimple has also gone which I consider to be a good sign however the swelling on my gum is exactly the same as it was when I still had the tooth in! It's hard and doesn't hurt when pressed. Is this normal? Surely it's a good sign that the pimple is gone? Means the infection is clearing? I'm just a bit concerned as I'm not on antibiotics and just wondering if the gum is still swollen just because I left the abscess for so long so the hard swelling just might take a bit of time to go down? Any reassurance would be great! Thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I would suggest you relax since it has only been a week since your infected tooth has been removed.  Don't always inspect the extraction site cause it makes you more worried.  And please never ever touch the wound with your fingers or even with your tongue because it can slow down the healing process.  Do you have any medical condition or any medication / maintenance for any illness or whatever? 

I give my patients at least a month to 2 months before the wound is healed but of course another factor could be how traumatic the procedure was or has it been sutured or whatever...

However, if I was to perform the procedure on you, I would've prescribed antibiotics for 3 to 5 days before extraction and continue on for another 7 days after the extraction... of course that would be depending on the case.

Hope this helps😊

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying.

I don't have any medication or any illness at all, I'm usually completely fit and well (that I know of)!

The extraction was very quick and simple thankfully, just a normal extraction which is why I thought the hard swelling on the gum would've gone by now.

I thought it was strange that I wasn't given antibiotics but the dentist seemed to think I would be ok. She said as the abscess has been removed, my body should be able to fight the rest of the bacteria by myself.

It's not tender or anything and the fistula has gone so that has to be something, right?! 

The swelling is hard though and it's only on the gum under where the tooth root was, just like it always was, it never spread anywhere else. Could the fact that it was swollen for so long be a factor in how long it will take to go down?

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hello, again.  I would suggest you wait until the 2nd or third week BUT if it bothers you, you may always return to the dentist who extracted the tooth and ask.  I am sure she/he would appreciate you following up on your case.

And if you are not satisfied with the answer you get from your dentist, you may also consult with another dentist for a second opinion.

Let me know what happens.  I would be very happy to hear any updates.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hi i know this post was a few years ago but was wondering if the issue went away on its own and if so how long did it take? I am dealing with the same situation right now. Any feed back is much appreciated!

• Posted

I think blood or infection is causing the swelling. It should go down over time. If it doesnt go down in 3 weeks then see a dentist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.