Removal of amitriptyline... What to expect?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So after 4 years of being on amitriptyline I was sick of the Dr's saying on every visit I'm too young to be on these tablets. Even though they put me on them and when I've asked for help to come off and get something to help me sleep (non medications wise as I don't want to be a permanent pill popper) but they do nothing. Although not shocked as they all seem so helpful!!! so being on 150mg 3 x 50mg a night the Dr's had bugged me one to many times and I've binned the lot and now refuse to take another. I haven't told them this yet but when. I do ill See if that stops them moaning... But I want to know what to expect and what can help if something side effect related pops up?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think it would be smart to cut back gradually.
  • Posted

Hi Loxy,

Yes please cut back gradually. I was on between 100-250mg for 20 years and have recently stopped. It’s incredibly tough and you need to have the right tools in place to help overcome all the difficulties you will face. 

It’s a brave decision to stop but one I think you’re right to do.  Not sure these cash hungry pill makers have carried any long term tests to see how badly these pills effect you internally but certainly can’t be good.

Sleep will be tough and of course your state of mind might take a hit but there’s a lot of alternatives to look at.

One thing that helped me a lot was meditation but there are many others. 

I’m in a hurry this morning but will reply in full later today with a few ideas.

GOOD LUCk and stay strong. Pills are not the answer to everything and we live in a society where that’s all lazy doctors want to offer you to cute everything.

Ed

• Posted

Loxy, you need to reduce this medication otherwise you will  have some  stopping symptoms what with it being a large dose.  I was only on 10 mg and took 11 months to get off it as i experienced some awful affects. x good luck xx 
    • Posted

Thank you hopefully luck is on my side. What sort of side effects? If you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I think we all have slightly different symptoms , for me nausea was terrible, but i also experienced pain in all areas of my body like muscular flu type pain even my eyes were sore, anxiety, abdominal cramps, headaches, and diarrhoea. Some people have sleep problems  and brain zaps but i did not experience either of these. x
  • Posted

I had been on amitriptyline for years as a sleep aid. I stopped them cold turkey last summer and went through horrible withdrawals for about 10 days. But it was worth it as my thinking is much clearer.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies. So far all I've experienced is itchiness constantly and random bursts of uncontrolled laughter. I was mainly wanting to know what symptoms may arise so I know what I may expect?

• Posted

I couldn't sleep. Had itchiness, diarrhea, nausea, depression, headaches, body aches, crying jags. Almost all the symptoms a meth addict would have withdrawing! That's why so many people recommend tapering off. But I didn't have that luxury because amitrytiline had built up so much I was having severe mental issues. I even failed cognitive tests! But my brain and body are fine now!

• Posted

Getting off this or any other phsyche drug is as unpredictable and dangerous as starting on it just more so.

The slowest longest possible taper is best it cannot be slow enough - the longer you’ve been taking the crap the slower you should go and don’t expect a lot of help from the medical community they are not a friend when these drugs go sideways which they do for so so many more people than we can even begin to know. Try to abstain totally or extremely limit your benzo usage while getting off this or any other phsyche drug - if you must rely on one try to stay with low dose of Valium per Ashton and so many others advice - stay away from the near more poweful and shorter half life crap like Xanax and Ativan Klonopin etc.

I am not a doctor consult more than one - and beware of all of them - do your own thorough research - I didn’t and am paying a hell of a price!

We need to bring survivor victims together and have their voices be heard as one somehow - before pharma poisons many more millions as they have been knowingly with these types of drugs for decades!

MAY A LOVING GOD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL. J, pdx,819,four772

• Posted

Loxy

Withdrawal of this medication can depend on how long you have been on this medication, The dose and the attitude you have for coming of the drug

I have not been on such a high dose, normally I take upwards of 75mg, I reduced  it to 50mg without any problems. Because of my age I need to try and reduce it further, as the drug seems to work at a lower dose for pensioners. I am expecting a tussle I have changed a medication and taking a reduced dose and I feel ok

How confident and determined are you, it may come down to that in the end.

Personally I have had no side effects on my reduction although I feel you may need to boost your dose to allow the body time to get the medication out of your system.

In a way your GP should be helping you with encouragement and possibly understanding

Look in the box your medication came in you will find an explanation sheep that may help to ween you of in a sensible way

BOB

• Posted

I am only on 25mg. I only cut down to 20mg and I had anxiety and felt nervous. I couldn't sleep either. That's from a 5mg drop. I couldn't handle the side effects so went back to 25mg. I would think very carefully before you stop them just like that. I certainly wouldn't do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.