removal of colon and bowel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had a removal of colon and bowel if so can you tell me what to expect if i have it done please........i have ulcerative colitis and had to had a loop ileostomy two years ago i also have a large herna over the stoma which the surgeon has said he will repair at the same time!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patriciab,

I haven't had this and I do not know of anybody who has had it either, however, I joined some support groups on Facebook, which I find really useful (and very supportive), you could post your query on one of these and see what others have experienced.

The groups are usually closed to all but sufferers, or supporters of sufferers so your own friends cannot read your posts unless they are also members of that group. It is amazing what people have put up with, endured and even overcome. If not ask your consultant if there is a group local to you that may help. Good luck! XX

• Posted

I had most of my colon removed due to cancer, I had a resection so I wasn't left with a bag at all, not even a temporary one. I still have UC in the resected part but the surgery itself wasn't as bad as I thought, I worried about incontinence but was never an issue, due to the UC some quick dashing is still required but all in all the removal hasn't caused any problems, I get joint pain but with UC, autoimmune hep, psc, sjorgrens and thyroid disease, it's hard to tell how much is down to the removal if any. My consultant wants me to have a loop or s or w or whatever pouch they think will cure UC and rid of cancer reoccurring but I'm uncertain, I don't heal well now.
  • Posted

I meant to say, I'm only left with couple of inches of large bowel where it connects to small bowel, I think if it wasn't for other illnesses I think I'd be fine with no colon.
  • Posted

Hi ... Yes I hav surgery behind me Friday past. I was mentally in good place for it . I was in theatre for approx 6 hrs and had it by keyhole . 5 pin prick holes and a really neat stoma and short suture line at my butt where they took my colon through and then stitched . My consultant told me my colon was extremely inflamed and he wondered how I had any function with it at all ,he could c no sign of any tumours thankfully , but will hav to wait for histology results to b sure to b sure...at least I know I made the right decision so I hav no misgivings about it . After theatre went to recovery for approx 6 hours where I was extremely well cared for . Pain relief is by epidural Which has worked well to date . I then returned to ward .. I had tea which I drank few mouthfuls of and toast of which I chewed 3 mouthfuls ...stops wind and gets system going .Very sleepy post anaesthetic ,dozed off and all nite and was relatively comfortable . I have a drip up ... I hav 1 drain from abdominal cavity , an epidural and a catheter all very comfortable . I was out sitting for hour yest morning . I had meals all day yest just 6 mouthfuls so I didn't sicken myself . Wind builds up easy and I discovered that having couple rich tea plain biScuits An hour b4 my meal and some water lifted wind and I didn't feel nauseated . Had visitor in afternoon , was back in bed then back out sitting for 3 hours yest evening . Slept fairly well last nite. Up and out washed and sitting for 9am and had breakfast . Stoma bag is operating , passing wind and some sticky matter , it appears ok . To date am very happy and rid of my crippling cramps lol . Any questions feel free to ask . Must say I'm so happy to have it behind me x

• Posted

Hi ... Just reLised u posted this 12 months ago. Silly me x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.