Removal Of Plate and Screws

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am one year post trimalleolar fracture and surgery. I would like to know when is a good time to ask ortho about having metal removed. Thanks!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

When I saw my ortho back in September, which was 5 months post op, he said they wouldn't even consider hardware removal until at least 12 months (April). I saw him yesterday as part of my follow up care, and he said that as long as it isn't causing issues then the preference is to leave it in as when screws are removed the bone is weaker.

Mind you, I only have one plate and 7 screws, they aren't affecting my ROM and I only notice them when I lean heavily against them.

You said you're at the 12 month mark, so if you want them out, then I'd say around now is a good time to start that conversation.

• Edited

I had my hardware taken out at 9 months post op.

• Posted

How are you doing? Do you feel back to normal? Also, how was your recovery? Thanks

• Posted

I broke my fibula left leg Sept 26 2015. Surgery was 9 days later. I did my physical therapy like a man possessed, and think that is why I havent had any issues since. I was able to resume all of my normal activities. It feels mostly normal, I do have some neuropathy and that foot cramps up pretty easy. But Im glad I had the plate and 7 screws removed.

• Edited

I tripped at a gas station in January of 2019 and fractured my ankle. I now have seven screws and a plate and I would like to have it removed in April. I’m on the thin side and the hardware causes some discomfort and stiffness even though I have always been very diligent about doing all my therapy exercises. You can actually see the screwheads on my scar. I'm scared to have the surgery but I’m hoping it will help.

• Posted

I have a thin build and had the same issues. The plate and screws caused irritation with my work boots and ice skates. Recovery after the hardware removal was only 3 weeks no to light pressure on that foot.

• Posted

I had stabilizing screw removed last month

Im 7 months post op

I still have screws in bone that broke

Ortho said that was a little more complicated than just the one stabilizing screw

• Posted

i had a trimalleolar fracture in april of 2018 two plates, 14 pins. Within 4 -5 months i knew I wanted them to come out i could feel and see the pins on my ankle, and it felt like occasionally when walking that my ankle would get caught on the pins. i had them all removed in December of 2018 and the surgery was well worth it if you are having issues i dont see why you need to wait especially if Xrays show that the bone is healed properly

• Posted

Thank you so much for your input. I'm making an appointment today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.