Removal of polyps as outpatient

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am in my mid 60s and recently had some post menopausal bleeding. This was quickly diagnosed as polyps during a very painful hysteroscopy. The doctor told me that there were three, they were around 3 cms in size each and had their own blood supply. Yesteday I had a call from the hospital insisting that I have them removed on Friday. This will be at an outpatient clinic. I'm worried silly about the pain involved and the fact that I go on holiday to South America just 1 week after the procedure. I was told that if I couldn't make Friday's appointment then I would be removed from the list. I'm frantic!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,

I recently had two polyps removed via a colonoscopy . Is this the procedure your having done ? If it is don't worry at all , you'll feel absolutely nothing and afterwards feel just fine .

The only yucky thing is the medicine you drink before called moviorep , try and get Picolax instead it's so much better !!!!

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Jill, this must be very distressing for you. Have you explained to the hospital about your forthcoming trip and your concerns about the pain during the procedure and any discomfort and possible bleeding afterwards. I would hope they would let you enjoy your holiday and then if possible have the procedure done under a general anaesthetic? That is what I would do.

Is there a practice nurse or ward sister you can telephone to chat to?

Has anyone said why it needs to be done soon?

Try and ask more questions and get some answers and understanding from somewhere.

I hope everything works out for you x

• Posted

Talk to your doctor as well as the hospital regarding their insistance of surgery before your trip.  Obviiously this is not a trip one takes every week and had to be planned well in advance.  Unless this is life threatening there is no need for the hospital to be insisting that you do it now or they take you off the list.  Perhaps they have a rule where If a patient is referred for surgery - they get put on a list.  If you choose to have a later date then your doctor will have to re-request surgery to remove the polyps at a later date too?  I don't know, I'm just guessing.  But I do think this is blackmail.  They are playing on your emotions.  Complain to your doctor and the College of Physicians about the threat to take you off the list.  That is unethical.

A hospital is a business that provides health care, their main focus is getting the OR used as much as possible to maximize revenue.  Outpatient proceedures are fairly lucritive. If the hospital administration are threatening to take you off the list, talk to your doctor.  Perhaps he/she can do the proceedure in another hospital or make a referral to a doctor that can.  

In Canada they stop doing organ donations for patients over the age of 70.  They also stop doing many types of surgery that require putting a patient under after 70.  I have seen my Grandmother and many of my clients, all over 60, have surgeries and proceedures done.  So in my opinion your not too old for this.

If you had a hysterectomy how do you still have polyps? The uterus is gone.  Nothing left 

• Posted

i'm now 59 and started PMB 2 years ago in October 2014.  Will you have them removed via hysteroscopy under a general anaesthetic.  I have had 2 hysteroscopy procedures, the first for a suspected polyp that turned out to be a fibroid,  the second to remove a fibroid.  I came round quickly went home the same day.  My consultant told me I would need to be very brave to have the procedure under a local anaesthetic instead of a general.  I hope all goes well for you, but do consider having a general anaesthetic instead.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jill

I would also advise you to ask for a general anaesthetic, i am 61 yrs old (10 yrs menopause), yesterday i had my op, hysteroscopy, curettage and polypectomy which was easy under a ga.

Before surgery i experienced alot of abdo pain,cramping and back pain and had expected to wake up after surgery in alot pain but surprisingly the only pain I had was very slight abdo pain afew hrs later, which was relieved by paracetamol.

It is not advisable tp fly for a couple of weeks after surgery because of any bleeding or DVT, it might be better to consult your doctor on this and also travel insurance x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.