Posted , 3 users are following.
I broke/dislocated my right ankle, as well as stretched out ligaments completely, on 12/2. Surgery was performed on 12/13 and as of my last check up yesterday, 1/22, doctor says my fractures look pretty much completely healed. However, I still have to wait an additional 6 weeks for the ligaments to continue to heal, so I am still not weight bearing.
Dr. says that it is up to me as to whether I want to undergo surgery again to get the syndesmotic screw (how i understand it, it is a big screw connecting the tib/fib so that the syndesmotic ligament is not used) removed. He says there is not a big difference between patients who keep the screw, and patients who have it removed. He says that in time by walking on the ankle, the screw will loosen on its own and maybe even eventually break, which will allow me to regain more dorisflexion. However, if I was to just get it removed, the dorisflexion would return much sooner.
My research shows that he is generally right, there is not that much of a difference between those who take the screw out and those who keep it. I guess it really depends on whether you want to undergo surgery again so soon or not.
Have any of you faced a similar decision on your road to recovery? What did you choose and why? Any help/input is greatly appreciated!
0 likes, 12 replies