Removed cast (finally)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, i just today got my leg cast removed from lower leg (ankle fracture-no operation) after 6 weeks i thing, i didnt count, i was just glad to be out of it. But now it really starts the new gurney for me. I was wondering how you guys go and sleep after removing cast? I am afraid that i can move funny in my dream and make my leg worse...idk what to do. And waned to ask, is it normal to still be little swolen? I mean, on place where was broken bone (a medial malleolus, part of it just) next to it, where isnt suposed to be hard, where are muscles or some soft part on other leg, on broken its hard as if its bone under that skin, its wierd...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I joined a FB page called Broken ankle, foot, leg/ quest for normality - an excellent page for support, advice and tips. 

Swelling seems to be normal even up to a year and a half after break.

• Posted

Thanks man, i will check it. Whait, for a whole year and still swelling? That cant be normal, its too long...i didnt had surgery, and it wasnt so “bad” break, and i am pretty young still, i hope it will help me to get better faster
  • Posted

I’m 10 weeks post injury. I got my cast off after 5, went to a boot for 2, then a brace and finally my foot is free. But when I first got my cast off I wrapped it in an ace bandage to sleep. For me it just felt better to have that little bit of support in the beginning. It’s still a long journey after getting the cast off. I’m still swollen to twice my normal ankle size and my dr told me today that it would still continue for awhile. It’s going to take quite some time to get full range of motion back after being immobile for 5 weeks. After 5 weeks of being able to move it my ankle is still very stiff. Moving around the house I finally feel pretty normal but going out where I’ll do longer distances of walking I still have to take extra care and will have to for awhile still.
    • Posted

I didnt had an boot or nothing, after 6weeks they just pulled my leg out of cast, doctor told me 2 weeks still no weight bearing on broken leg tho..i dont get too swollen, my leg gets blue pretty fast tho, idk why. I am more worried for those hard places, arround broken bone those muscles are hard as bone itself for some reason, its my first time breaking a bone, so i am pretty new in this world, everything is scarry. For me i just got out of cast today, tried to move it, right now i can move it freely for little space, but when going down or up, it comes to stop really fast...i guess its normal. I just wanna go back to work, i got so bored in home, bed 24/7...they didnt allow me to go out with wheelchair, so when i star my leg therapy i will ask doctor there, if i can go out in wheelchair now, i need fresh air, i wanna go out in evenings when its nice, etc...i am prepared to be like this for next couple of months, just want it to be as fast as possible....need to get back to work, i need money :S cant just sit arround and do nothing
  • Posted

Oops, got FB page title a bit wrong! It’s actually called Broken foot, ankle leg recovery - on a quest for normal.
  • Posted

Good to hear that you are out of your cast,for me when I sleep I would use an ace bandage so that I didn't move it to much while I was sleeping but still was comfortable. As far as the rest of your comment that's all normal and will start to go away with time and some physical therapy

Good luck.

• Posted

So, its normal to be that “hard” parts arround bone? Since they are basically stiff as bone itself, when i push part with bone its same density as arround it..are those ace bandages those stretchy ones? 
  • Posted

You fine I had the same weird feeling when my cast was removed. Since your leg was in a cast it still remembers that old cast and miss it. In couple of days it will goes away. Swollen is normal, just relax and be fine 
    • Posted

You shure? For this first night i used that stretcy bandage as they say in top coments, it let me get ease feeling, idk i felt something is there, i guess mental game is real here hahah. Slept like baby
    • Posted

Yes it will goes away, I had problems sleepy at nights after my cast was removed but I eventually went to sleep fine. I remember I would put a pillow under my ankle just to make it feel good and than as you sleep and wake up, your ankle has moved. Swollen will be normal it will also goes away in a few months. Remember everybody heals different but same method of recovery process   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.