Removing boot to shower

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks out from emergency ORIF surgery for my left ankle which I broke 3 bones and dislocated. I have started physio last week and have pretty good ROM but I'm still NWB for 3 more weeks. I can take the boot off to shower but I'm still to scared. Any advice? I don't like having my ankle exposed and vulnerable. I haven't even removed the dressing on my incision yet. I'm scared to get it wet too.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

If your Dr has ok'd then do it. I would hope you have a shower bench or chair. And it will feel so good. I was in NWb cast for 12 weeks and could not wait to shower and it was so worth it. So relax and enjoy, you will be glad you did

• Edited

My doc ok'd it. I'd be too scared to do anything he didn't lol I just find the mental aspect is hard. Like where do I put my foot outside of the boot if I'm NWB

• Posted

NWb means no body weight so if your setting on a bench or chair it can sit on tub floor or fold up some towels and put under foot in tub. And soap it up and rinse off
  • Posted

I would say that you'll want to wash it for cleanliness, you don't have to keep it in the water the whole time but enough to wash it with some soap and water. If it's a small dressing you can let it fall off in the shower. I recommend a shower chair for ease as well. It's not as bad as you think. I find it strange that the sensations I have around my incision aren't really from the incision at all. It feels different when I touch it. I understand your discomfort though.

• Posted

I have same injury. I am 5 weeks out and don't go back until Aug 16th and then will be FWB if X-rays look good . As far as physical therapy I don't know when that starts. Why are dr's schedules so different for when we start things ? I have showered and it's weird how it swells but felt good! I have a chair

• Posted

I have a chair and a removable shower head. I'm just so scared to have the boot off but I really want to shave my leg (not the incision part) and wash my foot. I'm just so scared to see the incision and touch my foot when it's not protected. I've been finding the mental aspect of this injury way worse than the physical.

• Posted

It is frightening when your ankle is exposed after such time in the cast. But to get in that shower is just magic. use the chair and hold the showerhead over yourself.If you have somone in the house at the same time then ask for help getting from chair out of shower, then boot back on....done!!  hope I found the mental side of things really scary and worried about everything. I had my first stand up shower this week and got throught quite a lot of heavy breathing just worrying about slipping, but did it and it was great.....hope you can enjoy.  sx
    • Posted

I hear you! I shaved the day I had my splint off. I couldn't wait to wash it in the sink. Left leg hadn't seen the light of day for 2 weeks and I still had all the surgery prep color going on. It killed me to not wash for that long. I cut myself over my shin bone from the atrophy 🤷???. In hindsight I should have exfoliated first because it's like I cut through all the dead skin. Sorry if that's gross but oops me. Be careful. The mental part of the whole incision part will get easier day by day. I will admit I still have a healthy wariness myself.

• Posted

At first I was very nervous to shower, I broke both ankles had surgery on 1 side.  I bought a chair that has a swiveling round top that has made all the difference.  I also bought a handle that sticks to the wall that also has helped me.  As to putting your foot down, that also bothered me, I just took it slow and gently placed my foot on the floor and tried not to move it to much.  It is getting better as I have found a routine I feel confident in, but boy in the beginning I dreaded showering.
  • Posted

I had tendon grafts, Achilles tendon lengthening and an all-american osteotomy in December. I had a ton of incisions...I called my foot the mixmaster, lol! When I was NWB, I took a shower on my knees (I have a removable showerhead.). It was definitely weird, but I was able to swivel on the edge of the tub and it felt so nice to finally get clean!
  • Posted

i know its been years but I'm in the exact situation. i had so much anxiety about showering with my ankle completely unsupported. it's weak and shaky so i had an anxiety attack the first time.

do you have any tips? what worked for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.