Removing Dressing & bathing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks post op and 1 week post staple removal.

I've just removed my dressing and it looks (to me) really healthy.

There were quite a few bits of dried blood that brushed away quite easily, but other than that it looks really good with no redness or scabbing.!

Do I need to put a fresh dressing on? I haven't been told anything about this by the hospital, but looking at my wound, I don't see any point as it looks fine.

Also, when is it safe to have a bath & submerge the knee? Until now, I've been showering with the knee wrapped in cling film to keep it dry.

Cheers, Neal

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i wouldnt have a bathe until its totally healed , it would be much the same as going in a pool, , mine was glued but didnt go in pool for about 6-7 weeks

• Posted

after the staples came out i took showers but probably not a good idea to take a bath and I never put a dressing on it after the staple removal it was not recommended by my surgeon .They put some steri strips on the scar but was still allowed to get it wet

• Posted

No you dont need another dressing. You can shower now but i was told not to have a bath for 6 weeks, i didnt have a bath for several months as i was concerned about getting in and out of the tub.

• Posted

If you're past the staple removal, you don't need a bandage. Use one if it makes you feel better. The knee will be VERY sensitive to the touch for quite a while...it's the healing nerves. If you have a problem with the knee coming in contact with pants or sheets, get a compression knee sleeve one or two sizes larger than you would normally take. You want the protection, not the compression. Else, wrap it loosely in an ACE bandage.

It's normal for it to look gnarly for a while but that goes away pretty quickly. My doc would not let me submerge the knee for six weeks...I've heard different numbers from various people. Check with your doc on that one. The new knee will absolutely look bigger than your OEM one for a long time. Even at one year, I could still see a very tiny difference. At four years, none.

Click on my name, Discussions and See All. I have 30 out there on all sorts of topics that may be useful to you. Good luck...

• Posted

Hi, i didn't attempt the bath until after the staples were removed, no dressing needed but did find i can't bear fitted trousers or the duvet on my knee and i am 7 weeks post op, as to the bath you will know when you feel strong enough to get in and out unaided, until then please stick with the shower, thankfully i managed to use the bath at 5 weeks, it was bliss but everyone is different, take care, all the best with your recovery

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll leave the dressing off then!

Apart from being a bit sensitive I slept quite well with the duvet on it last night. During the day I'll stick with shorts except when going out 😃

Although I feel strong enough now to get in and out of the bath, I think I'll leave it until after I've had my follow up with my consultant in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers, Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.