Removing stent myself! How much pain should I expect??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I recently had a uteroscopy done and had 2 small stones lasered and removed. The surgeon put a temporary stent in with a string hanging out and I have instructions to pull it out myself on Wednesday!! This sounds very scary and I am wondering if anyone has removed a stent on their own and how much pain should I be expecting?? I am so nervous about this!!  Your experiences will be very helpful. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would imagine that if they have given you instructions to do this yourself that is what they are expecting you to do.

Is there anyone (family or friend) who can be with you whilst you are doing this?

I would make sure you have the contact number of your local surgery incase you need their help.

I have a large kidney stone and have an appointment with a Urologist in Cheltenham next week.

Not sure if they will operate sometime and put a stent it.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I was shocked to find out that pulling out my stent was completely pain free! It was about 10 inches long and I couldn't believe I felt no pain. Good luck with your kidney stone issues. I have many large stones in my left kidney and I am going to meet with a urologist this month for a 2nd opinion. My current urologist wants to remove my kidney. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.