Renal CT scan

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

Can anyone tell me if they inject contrast dye into you when you have a renal ct scan-suspected kidney stones

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had one a month ago and in my case it was quick and easy... just had to drink a lot of water bout 20 minutes beforehand but no dye for mine ..

All the best

• Posted

Thank you for your reply mike. I'm hoping mine is the same. Have u received your results yet..just curious how long u need to wait.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I haven't received the results yet through my urologist but found out via my go that I have an 8 mm stone in my left kidney.

It was 6mm so has grown in the past 9 months. I originally had 5 and a double blockage which was sorted early Feb.

I've no idea when he's going to deal with it or give me feedback lol

He had booked me an appointment for may next year but my gp wasn't happy lol watch this space 😊

• Posted

You must hv been in so much pain with 5! An appointment next year..thats an awful time to wait..i hope u get it resolved quickly.

I had a ultrasound last year and had 3mm one but I think I passed that, with little pain i have to say and another few months ago..i have had pain in my back and sides for few monthswhich comes and goes but has steadily become more persistent. Did u have pain for a while. I just wonder why their not passing..

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

I had no warnings just severe lower abdomen pain that grew in intensity over 3 days. By the time I went to a&e both tubes were completely blocked. I had emergency surgery as i had a really bad kidney infection. Long story short I had a ureterscopy and a nephrostemy with stents put In ( worst experience of my life ) basically got the stuff sorted middle of April or so.

I am in a better place now .. had 3 stones left .2 small ones in my right kidney and one in the left. I believe the right kidney is now clear. Just an 8 mm one left which caused stitches and kidney pain but not unbearable.

I've resigned myself to being a lab rat this year 😂

• Posted

Hi Mike. Sounds awful. I glad you are feeling better and hopefully u get it full resolved and no more pain. Thank you again for it reply. Now..if I go for CT scan Monday and they come near me with dye, I will freak out lol..im more scared of that than the stones 😂all the best 😀

• Posted

I had the dyes in a MAG 3 scan. It's several scans in 1 appointment. TKes about 1.5 hours in total. No after affects. 

I've had the CT scan with and without scans. Depends on what they are looking for. Is this your first CT?? I had several and the most recent was the only one with dye. Hope this helps!!

• Posted

I have had 3 ct scans in the last 5 weeks because of a stuck stone 4mm. All without contrast dye. I was told that they use the dye for cases where the person may have other kidney problems (with or without stones) or if your blood panel shows abnormal results that they believe are not due to the stones. If they are sure that your pain and suffering are due to the stones, then according to my doctors( I live in the USA), they would not use the contrast. But, sometimes stones can occur as a result of another condition, so if they want to use the dye, I would be very persistent in finding out exactly why. A CT scan without dye takes about 1 minute. A CT scan with dye takes about an hour and you have to have IV.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.