Reoccurence of new type of arrythmia after ablation

Posted , 5 users are following.

22 year old male here. I was ablated for svt (av-nodal re-entry type) about 4 months ago. Im now afraid that I have developed atrial fibrillation. Last night i woke up in the middle of the night with a fast and irregular heart beat. It didnt feel as strong as my previous svt-episodes, which only happened before during physical activity. It lasted less than 5 minutes. My sleep has been poor lately and sometimes waking up. Im worried that im having atrial fibrillation during sleep. Im having episodes of palpitations while falling as sleep also. 

Could it be that my ablation caused a new arrythmia? Does anyone have experience with this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would recommend you go see your cardiologist as soon as you can.
  • Posted

I have had 3 attempted ablations but have never gotten ablated.   i have read in the FB SVT closed groups, that pwople that have had an ablation for one certain type, have then had a different one pop up.  Maybe you should visit your EP, and get a holter monitor for a couple of days.   That will tell the story    
  • Posted

Hi Eirik,  I’m a 42 year old male, healthy, fit, no alcohol/caffeine/etc.  just had Ablation for accessory pathway ablation 2 weeks ago and I’ve had several mild Tachycardia episodes.  Thank god for Teladoc as it saved me a trip to the ED, day 1 out of ablation.  Cardiologists nurse, PA and Teladoc Dr. all echoed the same thing that it can take a little bit for the heart to fully heal and stay in regular rhythms.  Although your 4 months out which seems like you should be healed at this point.  However, the one observation I noticed from your writing is the worry.  I know that I’ve been dealing with intense anxiety/worry/fear before and even after my Ablation.  Wondering if I’m going to have a stroke because the punctured septum, wondering if my heart is stro enough to have tachy because they did three ablations in L atrium.  Long story short, going through SVTS then ablation was pretty traumatic for me.  I wonder, do you feel consumed with worry a lot since your ablation?  Have you done any talk therapy? (e.g. cognitive behavioral therapy, etc) mediation, prayer etc?  I would agree with Linda that you should go visit your cardiologist to get clarity and peace of mind.  I know my response can’t answrt your question directly as I’m only two weeks out.  I hope you get some closure and clarity though as I can sympathize with your fears and disruption of daily life.
  • Posted

Hi Eirik,

I have battled with AF and flutter for about 10 years.  I have had 4 ablations and many cardioversions.  In my experience everyone is different.  Yours may settled down after a bit longer.  I know some people have one ablation and everything is perfect.  In my case it was for a while but as I get older (70 now) the heart can deteriorate. In the meantime as long as you are on blood thinners and perhaps you could be given a beta blocker like metoprolol (to slow the rate down)  you will not die or have a stroke.  Its just a real nuisance. I would talk to the EP and they can check how bad it is.  You can even have a heart monitor put in to give accurate records of your heart's performance or wear a halter monitor for 24 hrs.  If it does not settle you can always have another ablation but you can only have a limited number of these.  I also purchased a blood pressure machine that tells me my heart rate.  It should not be too high somewhere between 50 and 90 I would suggest. Obviously I am not a doctor but I have had a lot of experience it is very hard accepting you have an abnormal heart rhythm. You can also practise mindfulness and take supplements such as fish oil and magnesium.  Generally I have found adrenaline brings it on such as heavy exercise or strong emotions.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.