Reoccuring UTI Infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone can help me.

What it is for as long as i can remember i have suffered with urine infections i go see my GP who prescribes me antibiotics which sometimes clear it up and then within a week i am back to square one with another one sad. The GP tests my urine with the dip stick which indicates infection, e.g white cells, protein and blood but when it gets sent off to the lab it comes back clear rolleyes.

I have been referred to urology but they suggested surgery to widen my bladder tube in which i refused because i know it's not that as i don't struggle to pass urine.

I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that has the same problem.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi kadylouise

there are many on various forums who don't believe antibiotics are the answer to clearing UTI's. Google - UTI's and Biofilms.

For this reason i stopped AntiB's 13 years ago when a UTI occurred.

I have just had a pretty severe one - EColi related.

I use D-mannose, a good pure one is vital. I am not certain i can name a particular brand on here?

I dosed either 3 tablets or a heaped teaspoon every 3 hrs for 2 weeks - it is vital to dose like this.

Then even though my symptoms were hugely reduced - i dropped the dose to every 5 hours for 1 week.

I am currently still on 4/5 doses a day and i will stay there for another week.

Then reduce to 3 doses for a a week

Then stay on a maintenance of 2 doses a day for next 3 months.

ALSO, you have to keep your urine Alkaline - google how to do this, there are various ways. The alkaline envrionment of your bladder with help the D-Mannose over the hump of clearing out of your bladder the bacteria.

HOWEVER - to use d-mannose effectively - you must check with GP that your UTI is E-Coli bacteria.

It is not a cheap option to self heal without AntiB's. In my experience DM and dosing as I mention - is the only way to overcome a UTI. Otherwise you are still going to be in the loop of AB's and UTI returning again and again.

I also ate a LOT of green vegetables, salads etc - these all help the Alkaline envrionment you are looking for. You can buy urine samle dip strips and check the status of your PH in your Urine. The rule of thumb is for the PH to be 7-7.3 to be the accurate alkaline envrionment.

all the best

• Posted

Do you have the typical UTI symptoms?  Does the dipstick show significant white cells and blood, such as +2 or is it just 'trace'.   I would be stumped at the negative lab report.  That is something I have not heard before.  When you say lab report, is this culture or just microscopic?  Did the urine go to the lab more than once?

I can't imagine why a urologist would suggest the bladder tub be widened when they have not shown infection with a lab report.  

This forum is getting to sound like an advertisement for D-mannose.  

• Posted

Hi,

Yes i have the typical UTI symptoms burning sensation when i urinate, belly ache, backache. yeah the dipstick always shows white cells and im not sure if the blood is a trace or not yes when they send my urine off to the lab it is lookeded at but its negative.

I have spoken to a few people about the bladder tube and if that was narrow then i would struggle to pass urine in which i don't.

• Posted

I think you are talking about urethra stricture.  That would require some kind of diagnostic imaging to diagnose.  Also, you would be having retention, which you say you don't. 

Gosh, I do not have good vibes about the doctors you are seeing.  

Just the fact that an antibiotic clears it up for a while indicates an infection.  It baffles me that the culture doesn't grow anything.   I'll ask again.  Have you sent the urine to the lab more than once.

• Posted

Yes it gets sent every time the doctor has dipsticked it but it comes back negative sad 

I don't have bladder retention and I don't struggle to urinate I'm fine passing urine just baffled as to why I keep getting them I'm wondering if I've got an immune defiancy because I've had a skin problem too and they can't see lm to get to the bottom of what it is and what's caused it 😡 X

• Posted

If the culture is not positive, then you have no antibiotic sensitivity test done.  How then, does your doctor know which antibiotic to prescribe?

How many different times have you been on antibiotics and over what period of time?

Have you had blood tests to check you immune system, such as the Anti-Nuclear Antibody test?  I doubt though that this is the problem.

I'd still be wondering why the lab doesn't grow anything.  I'm having trouble believing it.  

• Posted

I've had that many different antibiotics over the past year or so and now they don't want to keep giving me then cause they don't work! 

And if your having trouble believing it then that's up to you but I know my own body and I'm not lying 

• Posted

I didn't mean I don't believe YOU.  I mean, I do not believe your urine cultures are negative.  I don't know why, but if you have UTI symptoms and more than on positive dipsticks, there has to be bacteria growing.

• Posted

Oh sorry!! 

Yeah that's what I've said to them but they just say well it's come back negative I was referred to urology but they said it was my bladder tube without even doing tests so hence the reason I refused and for the simple reason I don't struggle going to the toilet. 

• Posted

Hi,

I completely sympathise with you! I have been on three lots of antibiotics for the past 2 months. I found out yesterday from my GP that the third lot of antibiotics I was given, I  should never have been prescribed as my uti had in fact cleared! My second lab culture had come back negative, and the first lot of antibiotics I took had in fact cleared the infection although I am still having pressure on my bladder. So my blood test results have come back normal, I am now been referred for an ultrasound scan. I didn't have blood in my urine sample it was an e-coli infection, so now my GP is saying that I might have had a prolapse or unable to empty my bladder completely! I'm so fed up with all this. I never had these issues 2 months ago! In fact my last uti before this was 8 years ago.

What my GP did say was that the dip stick test they do in the surgery, doesn't give an accurate result

I hope you get sorted!

• Posted

Hi Kady

I am in the same boat as you. I also have interstitial cysistis diagnosed by cystocopy have you had this? As my symptoms for that often mimic how I am feeling when I feel like I have a uti but it is just a flare. I take one antibiotic every night to prevent infection and take D mannose if I feel a uti coming on. The anxiety that comes with worrying that you are getting an infection is awful e.g worrying when travelling or going away for a night etc. Are yours related to being intimate by any chance? As I only started since being with my partner so if obviously related to that, if not have some scans, although when I had an ultrasound it showed everything was normal when I obviously wasn't 

Good luck let me know if you find anything that works as I want to come off long term antibiotics 

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

No i haven't i've had scans etc but no cystocopy i'm due to see my urology consultant this month but i know what hes going to say that my bladder tube is narrow but i honestly don't beleive that is the problem cause i don't have difficulty in passing urine etc. I've also had a skin infection for the past year on and off and took look of different antibiotics to try and clear that up which ofc they haven't worked sad so my GP is a bit wary of prescribing me any more antibitics. Im currently not in a relationship so it can be because im intimate, i have had scans which show everything is normal to im now starting to think is it because my immune system is weak thats why nothing is helping to clear it or i have an immune defiancy im not too sure but its getting annoying now my bladder is weak cause of all the infections sad i;m just getting to a point now where i feel crap all the time cause if i go out with friends or family ive got to know where the toilet is cause i have no control over my bladder if i am really needing a wee.

I don't blame you about wanting to come off long term antibiotics they cant be good for you.

Thanks for the reply smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.