Reoccurring bartholins cyst.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 24 and have had bartholins cysts since I was 16. Up until this week I only ever got them on the left side. When I was a teenager I got a cyst turned abscess every 2-3 months and at 18 I had a marsupialization surgury. I didn't get a cyst for 5 years but 4 months ago one appeared again and I had it drained. A month later got another one. Both left side but last week I got my first right side abscess. I feel defeated and I'm in so much pain even being on antibiotics and already had it drained. What is the next step after a marsupialization stops working and both glands are having issues?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve struggled with reoccurring cysts and it’s awful but you’re not alone. I believe the next step is a gland excision. They go in and remove the gland completely. 
  • Posted

I had my left gland taken out and it was the best decision for me. I’m 23. And ever since i was 18 i would have a cyst on the left side. I had two marsupializations and it still came back. I got the gland out a month ago and it will never return
    • Posted

My biggest concern is that I've read online that if you remove the gland than you'll need outside lubrication for the rest of your life which is so disheartening. Better than consistently getting painful cysts I suppose but what did your doctor say about it?

• Posted

I only got my left taken out and i get wet just fine. But if i had to take both of them out i would. Id rather use lube than have sex with a cyst. 
  • Edited

Am literally awake due to this evil ailment called Bartholin Cyst(Abccess) as it’s now painful for me.iv had it few times in my life and had only one marsupialisation.thank God my last one before this current one got burst after reaching the hospital for help so nothing was done.the nurse just pushed the rest out.iv tried with Magnesium Sulphate on Monday and Tuesday but it didn’t burst.So I came across onion and apple cider treatment on this same platform on Tuesday so I tried with the onions (by first cleaning the area with Apple cider vinegar)throughout Tuesday night till Wednesday morning still the abscess won’t drain.i now decided to go for what is called Phoebe’s treatment on Wednesday which is a mixture of Calamine lotion,witch hazel and tea tree(by dipping a gauze in de mixture and holding it in place with your panty).its 02:13 am in the UK.and my eyes are wide open because this thing has refused to burst.i have decided to go to the hospital for Marsupialisation if it doesn’t burst by this noon(Thursday afternoon)am sick to my stomach as I can’t do nothing 😖😪😫

Evelyn sorry for this long rant,I just felt like sharing what my current situation is so u know u not alone in this.now what Iv heard about getting the gland removed is that it’s not the best option until after 40yrs or after child bearing.am not sure why it’s like that so i’ll suggest u speak to your gynaecologist before having it completely removed.

Good luck to all the sufferers of this evil thing.May God touch and bless us with His healing power.Amen

• Edited

Hang in there!

I was in your shoes a few hours ago and was desperate for relief.

My cyst did not have a head and was not responding to antibiotics or anti-inflammatory.

I tried the turmeri remedy last night and this morning, then I went ahead and tried Phoebe's remedy. Not sure which one worked but I applied VERY warm compress for about an hour, gave it a break and applied more warm compress. It bursted 5 hours later. Take a pain killer if possible because the build up is painful but once it bursts the relief is the best feeling.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone either and you are almost to the finish line!

Take care! XX

• Posted

I was going to try the turmeric thing tomorrow but unfortunately it's only a short term solution. I've been getting them pretty regularly and I just am losing hope for them to ever fully stop

• Posted

Honestly I think what the turmeric remedy did for me was make the build up go to the surface because the worst pain started after I tried that treatment as I was very inflamed. Phoebe's remedy thinned out my skin and helped open up the hole for drainage.

Have you tried taking turmeric vitamins? Maybe drinking some kind of tea that will help? Making changes to your diet?

I'd like to know how to avoid them for future reference as well.

Hoping we can find a cure for this to be done for good. Unpredictable cysts suck!

• Posted

Hello Andrea,

Thanx for your response.

So I actually bumped into the turmeric treatment and given it a go.(in the middle of the night).Tis morning when I woke up,I washed the place with warm water(shower)as I have no bath.and have now applied the mixture sea salt,baking soda and water.am just laying here waiting for a miracle.

Iv ordered a sitz bath which is arriving today and looking forward to doing some sitz baths too.hopefully there will be some sort of miracle.

• Edited

Hi Glomoni,

What I started doing instead of taking sitz bath every 30 mins for relief or for helping the head to open, I warmed up a wet cotton cloth in the microwave for 1 min and applied it directly on the cyst. I still did my sitz baths every time I used the restroom but I continued to apply that warm compress. As a matter of fact, I still am and my cyst is still draining. Once you see that white head coming up try the warm compress and withing an hour or so the pore should open up. Patience is key, take it from this girl whom patience is her worst enemy!

Hope your feeling or ALMOST feeling better! Don't give up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.