Reoccurring Perianal Abscess (informed MRI shows no Fistula)

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello,

I have had 3 operations in the space of around a year for a reoccurring Peri-anal abscess. As far as I know I do not have Crohns. After operation number 3 I had an MRI and have been informed I do not have a Fistula.

How many operations have people had? I want to know if this will ever stop and how many times might I need this operation.

Has anybody had success with alternative/preventative treatment?

Most of what I am reading in relation to reoccurring perianal abscess seems to relate to an Anal Fistula but I have been told I do not have a Fistula. So I am confused as to a way forward and have had limited advise or contact from the NHS.

Full story:

I have had a re-occurring perianal abscess. The first I had was January 2022. I also had covid at the time and was reluctant to go to hospital and was in quite a bad way by the time I went. NHS made me wait a week for the surgey in agony. The abscess popped on its own accord. It was quite a large incision. Due to covid post operative care was difficult and I changed the packing myself throughout.

I was soon again on antibiotics and they worked the first time. But only delaying the abscess from reoccurring for a short time when it returned July 2022 and antibiotics did not work. I again was made to wait a week in Hospital. Abscess popped on its own again.

I noticed that the abscess either does not close completely, or only does for a very short period, and noticed tiny amount of discharge on a dressing I continued to use by way of monitoring discharge.

Then in February 2023 the abscess returns again. This time I was operated on within 24 hours and this was much easier on me, a smaller incision and recovery was much faster.

Only after this 3rd operation they arranged an MRI which I just had the results back for, and I have been informed there is no Fistula. I have started to get an itching sensation which I believe may be the onset of it returning and operation number 4.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.