Reoccurring shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been getting reoccurring shingles for 11 years now. Just recently almost everytime I get a shingles outbreak it almost always has a following of viral meningitis. I am on Valcyclovir for my outbreaks. I have also been tested for autoimmune diseases. Which have come back negative for anything. My blood work is normal levels for everything. Help I'm fed up. Does anything help?

Thank you for any input.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Consider taking the new shingles vaccine Shingrix (two separate doses).  Shingrix is supposed to prevent the return of shingles. In my case I got hit with ophthalmic shingles in July 2013 that resulted in PHN. Fortunately, I have  a mild case today of pain and itching. To prevent a return of shingles blisters and possible severe case of PHN, I took the first dose of Shingrix earlier this month and plan to take the second dose in three months. Discuss the Shingrix vaccine with your medical provider. Wish you the best.

Ps. For details on the new shingles vaccine contact GSK, pharmacy company which manufactures Shingrix at 1-888-825-5249. Pass on this phone number to others who may want detail information on Shingrix.

• Posted

Thank you Hector. I will have to ask my family dr about the shingrix vaccine. I asked my dr about the vaccine 7 years ago. I was told that since I already had shingles the vaccine would not be effective on me. I was also told since I was so young that insurance will not cover it.

Thank you

• Posted

Angie,

The Zostavax did help an occasional person with recurrent shingles. It certainly did nothing for me.

Supposedly, Shingrex should be covered by your insurance as you have had shingles. Shingrex contains an adjuvant that makes it stronger and more efficacious than Zostavax.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Angie,

My heart goes out to you. I have had recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

I plan on getting the Shingrex vaccination in two separate injections as Hector advised.

Also, I would ask your Physician to check your Vitamin D level. It should be 40-60. Vitamin D is essential for immune function, as well as many other body systems. If it is 30, which is considered a "normal lab value," it is still considered low by many health care professionals for your immune system.

Google High Lysine Low Arginine Diet Herpes. Chocolate, nuts, and legumes are high in Arginine, btw...If you follow this diet, along with taking Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, you may notice a decrease in your frequency and intensity of painful episodes. I certainly did.

Please note that Multiple Vitamins usually contain

Vitamin D 1000 IU, so adjust the dosage accordingly. Vitamin D is fat soluble, and therefore, can accumulate in the body and become toxic.

I hope this helps you. I did get a Herpes encephalomeningitis once, and it isn't fun.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for all the information Merry. I will look into my vitamin D level. Any bit of information helps!

Thank you.

• Posted

Please let me know how you do regarding the Shingrex vaccination insurance coverage, and if you receive it, how you feel afterwards. The information will help others move forward in getting theirs.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Went to the dr today. I mentioned the New shingrex vaccine. He told me it was for age 50 and up. But, he was going to research the vaccine some more due to my reoccurring outbreaks. In the fine print I might be able to receive it. He said that he was going to personally call and ask about if the vaccine could help me. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping for some positive news!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.