Reoccurring shingles since shoulder surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm a 49 year old female who endured a fall which tore my shoulder muscles completely away from the shoulder, requiring surgery in Aug 2019

surgery and recovery went fine until approximately 4 months later when I experienced a persistent cough, extreme fatigue, irritibility and visual changes. I was seen at an urgent care and they were unable to determine the cause. 2 months later i needed to have a revision to the shoulder as part of the area became unattached again. 3 weeks following that surgery I experienced the worst case of cold sores on my lips and about 4 shingles lesions on the right side of my hairline, on the back of my neck (same side as the shoulder surgery). I had a trail of fluid (under my skin) that traveled from the back of my neck and over my head onto my forehead, landing on my eyebrows. I was placed on several courses of Vancyclovir over the next 4 months-6 months. I have been faithful in taking the daily Vancyclovir maintenance dose but have experienced a couple flair ups. I dont fall into any typical at-risk category and I am having some usual symptoms but also other symptoms that are not controlled with maintenance therapy. ex. 25-30 lbs of excess fluid (edema) in my entire body which started in my shoulder, neck and head. Headaches, irritibility, exhaustion and feeling run down along with vision changes due to the swelling in my eyes. Is this what I have to live with for the rest of my life? Any suggestions or other treatment options?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.