Reoccurring UTI

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, hopefully someobdy can help me with this as I am very concerned for my 82 year old Dad.  Normally very fit and healthy without taking any medications in his life apart from the odd paracetamol now and then.  My dad started with what the doctor belived what a water infection.  He was very unwell for a few days, shivering, temperature and just generally unwell.  He thought he had the flu and so we called the doctor out for him as he was very very weak.  The doctor came and examined him and found he had blood on his penis, he was very quick to diagnose a water infection and prescibed 7 day course of antibiotics.  My dad seemed to be getting better and was no longer shivering and no temp.  2 days after his last antibiotics and it has started again.  Shivering, temp and he looks so old and frail, just not like my dad.  Throughout all of this I must add he has kept eating and drinking loads so we are happy with this.  Another trip to the doctors and they have given him another course of antibiotics and told him water infection again.  My question is, can this be right? another water infection? and can this make you very ill.  Shivering, hot and cold and this has gone on for 2 1/2 weeks.  I know we will have to wait and see the outcome in a few days but I am extremely worried about him.

Thank you for reading this and any advice would be helpful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Larry, yes, shivering etc is all part of a urine infection - also a touch of delirium can be thrown in, especially with men.  Just like flu sometimes! Lots of water is good. 

I'm guessing the docs didn't know what had caused it so gave him Trimethoprim which didn't work so now he's on Nitrofurantoin or Cephalexin?  The docs do a lot of guessing and just hope they're right eventually!

The antibiotics should work this time but it would be a lot better if doctors would always get a culture before prescribing so that the correct AB is used.  All antibiotics do some damage to a body so make sure your poor dad has some probiotics (live natural yoghurt or Danone or Yaccult drink).

Hope he feels better soon!

• Posted

Blood (other than microscopic) is a red flag.  Clearly he has some kind of infection and that is the reason for the temperature.   Did I understand you correctly that you had a doctor come to your residence?  I don't think it is proper protocol to give out antibiotics for a urinary (aka water?) infection without doing a culture first to see what kind of bacteria it is and which antibiotics will kill that bacteria.  Just from the little bit you have written, my advice would be to get a different doctor.  Go to a Urologist.   He could have bacterial prostatitis.

• Posted

hi larry, don't know if it's any help, but in early march i had the shivers, severe pain in the right lower back, and took myself to AE, they said i had a water infection and also sepsis.i was put on strong antibiotics and spent the week in hospital, till the antibiotics worked. with your fathers age it might be an idea to take him to hospital

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies. My first post and what a wonderful response, all very helpful.

I have just sent my husband to the supermarket for some Yakult probiotics and will keep an eye on him for the next two days. Another symptom that has arisen this morning from my mum is that he is bloated and now doesn't feel like eating because of this. Hopefully the yoghurts will sort out this problem. So very worried still.

Thanks again for your replies.

• Posted

Is he bloated because he isn't passing urine very well?  I have to say I agree with the above comments and you should be very wary of things getting worse (i.e. sepsis).  I strongly suggest you don't 'keep an eye' for two days as this will take you into the weekend!  Given his age and the new symptom I would at least get a doctor out to your father.  I don't want to worry you but maybe to err on the side of caution would be wise!

• Posted

The bloatedness could be from the antibiotic.  Often they cause digestive upset.  I agree with Miriam; this is not a 'wait and see' situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.