Reopened incision 6 weeks on

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi so a week after my gallbladder surgery my belly button incision decided to reopen as was only glued closed, after a few trips to A&E (urgent care) to have dressing changed I basically carried on doing it myself at home packing out the wound changing the dressing everyday etc. 6 weeks on there is no sign of the skin coming together and the wound actually closing. Had my final appointment Monday before last and even with what I would call an awful smell coming from the open incision was told no sign of infection. 6 weeks on the reopened wound is still leaking a mixture of yellow/green/red fluid everyday not alot but enough to fill a strip of aquacel a day. The skin has hardened on both sides of where it should come together to close, and the belly button area hurts most days like a pulling sensation when standing sitting or anything. I'm beginning to become a bit worried this isn't going to heal correctly should I seek a second opinion? The past couple of weeks I've taken the advice to be patient and it will eventually heal but to me the gap is getting wider not closing. Wearing any sort of trouser/Jean agitates it even with a dressing on top and to top that off I'm beginning to get allergic reactions to any kind of dressing being used...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mines was exactly like that! It was like a hole in my stomach!! Had already had 2 weeks of flucloxacillin but then got second line antibiotics (doxycycline) as still had lots of pus coming from the wound. I’d squeezed as much of the pus out as I could (told my GP this as she knows I’m a nurse and had scrubbed my hands haha). Then a mixture of the new antibiotics and I used inadine (iodine) dressing covered with another dressing to pull the rest of the pus out. It healed within about 5 days of this. 

Ask your doctor to swab the wound and try the iodine dressings too xx

• Posted

so 9 weeks on no sign of the ooze stopping, tried 3 types of antibiotics, cleaning it everyday to no avail. Literally clean it up 1hr later need to clean it again. no sign of infection to really add apart from the odd occasion feeling really hot and heart rate being in the 120's randomly whilst resting (Doesn't happen everyday) and the odd bit of pain. I'm a vet nurse so just like yourself keep my hands sanitised whilst dealing with the little bugger looool.lol

• Posted

Have the docs taken a swab and sent it for cultures? You do have signs of infection though so definitely go get seen! Hope they get it sorted for you xx
  • Posted

Definitely sounds like it’s getting infected. I made my partner a mix of organic virgin coconut oil with Organic Manuka honey, this worked wonders for his problem, skin kept opening up after perforated bowel. The nurse couldn’t even stop the infection, she was amazed how well the honey and coconut oil worked.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.