Repeat endoscopy 6-8 weeks for oesophageal ulcer.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

So finally got my endoscopy and it turned out to be uncomfortable . I didn't think I would have such a gag response which didn't stop when the tube went past the vocal chords etc however I thinking the breathing advice given by the nurse was good if you can control it. Anyway I made it through with only throat spray and I was relieved until the endoscopist told me I had a tiny ulcer at the bottom of my oesophagus which would need ppis and get this a repeat scope in 6-8 weeks so imagine my devastation. Anyway anyone had this ? Did you have a better experience 2nd time around?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Scopes aren't pleasant but you get used to managing them. You know what to expect now.

Over 23 years, I've had numerous scopes. I try to relax as much as possible (easier said than done), breathe calmly and think of a "happy place" or slowly count my breaths. I know it'll al be over quickly.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I know it's a positive that I know what to expect and since I have what they said was a tiny ulcer on the esophagus they will have to make sure the treatment has worked but I was still upset to have to get it done again so quickly. However if I hadn't gone it could have gotten worse and after 10 years on ppis for acid reflux which had not been confirmed at least I now know what I have and I can't try to improve it.

• Posted

I Continued breathing through mouth and bite hard on mouth piece helped me to avoid gag feeling and panic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.