Repeat UTIs - Urinary Retention - Catheters - Neurogenic Bladder - Prophylactics - SNS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would like to hear from any patients who have a similar symptoms and treatment to mine.

I experience frequent repeat UTIs probably caused by Non-Obstructive Urine Retention (aka Neurogenic Bladder / CES-R). My treatment is self catheterisation and antibiotics as a prophylactic.

The problem is catheters appear to be causing repeat UTIs by injuring my bladder and introducing new bacteria. (e.g. E Coli, Klebsiella, Enterococcus Faecalis.) Using antibiotics as a prophylactic is likely to result in antibiotic resistance and at least two antibiotics (Cipro & Nitro) appear to be causing neuropathic problems affecting my bladder and foot.

I have serious concerns about both catheters and antibiotics relating antibiotic resistance and potentially serious adverse neurological effects.

I wonder if Sacral Nerve Stimulation (SNS) might be a better option.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who is having a similar experience and/or has had experience of SNS for urine retention.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Normal catheters do indeed cause infection as the tip damages the bladder lining - which is a marvellous protective barrier until it gets compromised.

Look for dual-balloon catheters - only licensed in the US but saved my husband's life (UK) once he started using them. The second, smaller, balloon protects the bladder lining from being 'stabbed' by the tip of the catheter. The drainage eyes are located between the two balloons. The only inconvenience is having two ports on the outside instead of just the one but this is a minor detail.

In the UK you can apparently try SNS for a few weeks to see if it works for you before having the full implant op.

Good luck.

• Posted

I'm a male with an atonic bladder and have never damaged my bladder or urethra in almost 4 years of self-catheterising. I'm using the 'SpeedIcath Compact Male' - Coloplast catheters. I used to have frequent recurring UTIs, which became resistant to all of the common GP prescribed antibiotics at alarming speed. The main reason for the UTIs was due to taking immune suppressing medication for rheumatoid arthritis, which opened me up to infections, plus bladder stones I also had did not help matters either. I stopped taking immune suppressants getting on 3 years ago and had the stones removed not long after. Since then I have not had a single UTI and long may that continue..........................

• Posted

Should read 'Speedicath'. Surprised posts cannot be edited.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.