Repeated hernias

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi

18 months ago I had a spigelian hernia repair. Everything seemed to go well until the following April when I was in a lot of pain around the site of the op. I subsequently found that I had 2 more hernias, a femoral hernia and an inguinal hernia. Both were repaired at the same time last August. It transpired that the mesh had come away from my 1st repair and wrapped itself round my inguinal hernia but this wasn't discovered until the actual repair was carried out.

Now I have similar pain and another hernia. My GP says that it is an incisional hernia and it is at the end of the scar from the last repair! I'm scared that the pain will become as bad as it was last year and worried for my job as I always seem to be off recovering from surgery.

How am I getting so many hernias? My consultant implies that it is because I smoke but surely that can't be the only cause!!!

Has anyone any ideas?

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When you visit your Doctor, inquire on the manufacturer and type of mesh used for your surgery. That will be a start for you to research  and determine if a product defect claim against the manufacturer is viable in your situation as well. What month and year was your surgery performed?
    • Posted

Hi SoCalGal

My GP has diagnosed a hernia.  It's the hospital that is dragging it's feet.  Your 2nd surgeon sounds brilliant.  I wish I'd elected to go to a different hospital but if I did it now,I'd go straight to the back ot the waiting list again.  The colleague I was working with yesterday told me to go to a walk in centre and it has crossed my mind that ER could be an option but it scares me.  I'm back working on the metro on Saturday so I might do it then if that excruciating pain returns. I honestly could cry with it.  It seems to come in waves.

My 1st surgery was at the beginning of September in 2012 and my recovery from that was quick.  After the 2nd surgery I had a lot of pain and the surgery site was extremely swollen and angry looking.

I will ask about the mesh type if I don't go to ER first.  I also thought it odd that I didn't get a follow up appointment after my 2nd surgery.  Perhaps they were afraid of me asking questions?

Take care x

• Posted

I eventually got my scan last week and was told that I keep getting hernias because I smoke.  The consultant says that smoking prevents proper healing and damages collagen thus affecting the abdominal wall.

I'm not sure whether i believe this as absolutely everything is blamed on smoking these days

• Posted

I think all these reoccurances are because of being overweight. I had my gallbladder removed back in 2011. Since then i have had 3 incisional repairs and it has ripped open again. i have not lifted anything heavy and can't even excersise because it will make the pain worse. I am in mild pain every day and at least 1 time/week my pain will get so bad i breakdown crying. the pain is in my incisional site and radiates to my back and is really painful. I was wondering what these doctors were doing wrong because it keeps coming back and i just want it to all go away. i was reading online last night and a lot of what i was reading kept bringing me back to being overweight and the pressure of the belly pulling down on the hernia and it ripping open again. I also read where people that get a tummy tuck, forgot the scientific name but that they get it done and then the hernia fixed and the problem is solved. I don't know how much this is  true but if it is i am calling my insurance on Monday to see if it will cover it. I just want the pain to go away, the hernia to heal. It has been almost 5 years now and i just can't believe that this is still happening. if i know i am going to be in the store a long time i have to ride around in a cart. i can't be on my feet for a long time. eating makes it worse too. If you find out anything new please let me know. i hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Mchelle.  It's horrible isn't it.  Mine is so unpredictable.  I just don't know when the bad pain will come.  I've been told not to do anything heavy but  still do and I know that heavy work has nothing to do with my hernia pain erupting.  Sometimes it happens when I'm just sitting doing nothing.  

I'm not overweight but I've read that this can be a contributing factor to hernias.  If the hospital ever gets round to putting this camera in and it shows anything interesting, I'll let you know.

Take care x

• Posted

i had that done before they found out that it was a hernia. i told them but they would not listen to me. treated me like i was crazy and making it up. i had all blood work possible, all urine work possible, inside and outside ultrasound, MRI with the die and NO ONE would do anything. this is a year after having my gallbladder out. then i go to Wisconsin and lift up my shirt to show the doctor and he says oh yeah, you have an incisional hernia and told me to put my shirt down. Do you know how p*ssed off but happy i was. I had been going through tons of tests in Mobile, AL and the dang doctors would not do a thing. then had 3 repairs in the next 3 years; 1 a year. doctors can ask for money and if i don't have it refuse to do surgery but i am not fixed still. so p*ssed behind all of this. the last surgery a couple months ago, about 2 weeks post op the pains started back again, sote pertruding out and he says oh that is just water and it will go down. well, no it hasn't and won't. He finally understood that about 5 weeks post op. then he thought maybe the doc that did my gallbladder surgery left some gallstones in my duct. did bloodwork on me for my pancreas and that came back good. this coming wednesday i am having a hide a scan. the camera down my throat and something else the other directtion. I sure in a way hope they find something because i don't know how much more i can take this. this whole ordeal has ruined my life. i can exercise if i am not hurting but after about 10 minutes you can hang it up. if i would persue the pains most likely would kick in to full blown pains and that i can't stand. I am beginning to think all of these docs in mobile are quacks! i mean how can something like this happen and why can't they fix it?

i was asking questions about the gallbladder doc that just happened to stop working at the clinic a year later after the surgery why he left and that i found it to be quite odd that he no longer worked there. my 3rd repair doc told me oh he missed his family and decided to go to be regular doc. that is BS. A surgeon does not go from making that kind of money to takeing a pay cut like that. Mindless to say i have a lawyer. i don't know if i will win it but i am trying. almost 5 years of pain and no fix = 1 p*ssed off patient and husband told me to sue their dang butts. see what happens with that.

i just hate having to sit in the truck almost every time my hubby goes to the store or just stay home because i know i can't handle walking around for too long. sad

• Posted

i cant belive this i have been  going threw same thing 3 hernias and its back and they  said they might not be able to put the mesh in  so i will die have you heard of sucha thing.but the third dr did put mesh in its coming out hernia hurts i cant poop  good over a yr ago i had kidney cancer  had surgery there thats what  started it no attorney  will take me im so upset
  • Posted

i have had 3 hernias 2 from a nut doctor and 1 oct from a decent 1.but it didnt take even when he put a mesh in.it is on left side were i had kidney  cancer surgery over a yr ago.im scared becasue no dr knows how to put my intestines inhe said he cant put it in theres no place to hook  the mesh i feel like none of them no that this is a lumber hernia and they  wont mess with  it

please reply im in agany i have a terrible UTI infection  and all the time

• Posted

Can you not ask to be referred to another doctor, Roxanne?  They can't just say you'll die from a hernia!!!!  I know what you mean about pooping.  My bowels are all over the place.  I'm either back and forwards to the loo or constipated.  I also have bladder symptoms.  I'm convinced that my bladder gets stuck in there from time to time.

I'm off work again as I have pulled a muscle in my back .  I was putting my boots on while trying to avoid putting any pressure on the hernia and something just went.

People underestimate how painful hernias can be and also how much of your life is affected by them

• Posted

were you from florida?im from  florida
    • Posted

I'm from the north east of the UK.  So I'm on the waiting list of the overstretched NHS.

My new consultant and his secretary are actually quite nice.  My old one is "no longer with them".    It's just that our health service is underfunded and I can't really afford to go private.  I spoke to the secretary this morning.  She knew who I was straight away and was very sympathetic and said I was in the "separate file".  They had to cancel operations over the christmas and early new year period as they had no beds.  At the minute they are catching up with those but any last minute cancellations will be allocated to me (because, she says, I'm in the separate file)

• Posted

obviously they are not in Alabama. Tis will be my 4th repair and I am 100% positive I have done nothing to rip it again and again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.