Repetitive e coli cultures

Posted , 7 users are following.

After two months and four sets of antibiotics this is worse.  Nitrofurantoin is making the pain worse each day i take it.  A week of amoxicillin made no difference.  I think i am now immune to antibiotics. I dont know what left to try, fosfomycin ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Cefitriaxone. It's an iv antibiotic.

• Posted

Guess thats a hospital admission then.  See what gp does on my next visit then!
    • Posted

I had fosfomycin to cover me for surgery to remove bladder stones...it worked a treat!  They wanted to give me nitrofurentoin, but I point blank refused as they gave me that to cover me for the same surgery a year previous and I ended up in hospital with urosepsis.  

Hope you get sorted

• Posted

Seven days of nitrofurentoin and frequency of urination worse at night.  Seven times up.  Feel a bit yuk but no bleeding nor cystitis pain.  Not sure how long to leave it before i see gp again for another culture.  Hoping it will settle down but think unlikely.  When last spoke she said nitro or gentamycin was on lab report.  What do i do now, i dont want to go to hospital but gentamtcin isnt available locally is it? Cant understand how a small uti has developed so badly with all these antibiotics, seems the wrong treatment to me.
    • Posted

My understanding is that  gentamicin must be injected so you would have to be in hospital to have it.  I had it once as a preventative when I had a cystoscopy.

You really need to get back to your GP and see what he/she has to say.  Just hope your GP is not like mine who persisted in prescribing course after course of nitro, which did suppress the UTI symptoms it created, but never cleared the infection.

• Posted

edit....should have said...which did suppress the UTI symptoms it 'seems to have triggered,' but never cleared the infection.

• Posted

I was given a routine urine test to see if I was ok to start certain medication.  Test/culture showed a nitrofurentoin sensitive e. coli infection even though I had no symptoms. A couple of days after I finished a 7 day course of nitro I started having symptoms...go figure?  Thankfully, despite having a chronic bladder condition I haven't had a UTI for almost 2 years. If I should develop symptoms then I have to be admitted to hospital and put on IVAs as my e.coli bug has become resistant to all of the common antibiotics.

• Posted

Is it gentamicin younhave to get at hospital? Dr mentioned it to me but is trying all others first.
    • Posted

I had it in hospital as a day case, but I suppose it's possible that your Dr might be able administer it. You need to ask.

• Posted

Interesting you got gentamicin, did it really work when all the others didnt and did it keep you clear of utis.  Drs just want to keep you away from hospital beds i think, must be the cost.  Now she wants cystoscopy done, im getting scared.
    • Posted

I did not have an infection at the time.  They used gentamicin as a preventative when I had a follow-up cystoscopy after surgery to remove a bladder stone several months earlier.  The reason they used it was because I ended up in hospital with urosepsis soon after the said surgery to remove the bladder stone. During that surgery I already had an infection and despite being put on a prolonged course of nitrofurentoin before, during and after surgery, I still ended up spending a week in hospital with the urosepsis.

The above cystoscopy discovered more bladder stones - 5 in total. They wanted to give me nitrofurentoin again as a cover for the forthcoming op but I refused point blank as it failed to work for the previous op. It was a bit of a struggle getting them to change to something else, but I persisted and they eventually prescribed fosfomycin as a cover for the surgery to remove the stones. I did not have a symptomatic infection at the time and thankfully the fosfomycin worked just fine.

Cystoscopies are nothing to worry about and that's coming from a male. Sure there's a little discomfort involved but far less than a visit to the dentist, and at least they can see if you have an underlying cause to your UTIs  and get it sorted if there is.

And yeah...saving money is a big priority!

• Posted

Saw gp and lab test shows uti gone, this is whatbhappened before, then it just came back. So,she has told me to keep taking trimethroprim on a low dose for next few weeks during which time i willhave appt with urologist and probably a cystoscopy, it sscares me rigid but i amheartened by your words.  I wonder if i might suggest h does ultrasound and ct scan too to make sure weve done everything, or would that be cheeky?
    • Posted

You should be so lucky!..no harm in asking about a scan though...they can only say yay or nay.

It's not particularly nice having a cystoscopy, but at least your urologist is making sure that there's nothing amiss. 

Glad your UTI has cleared, let's hope it stays like it this time. 

• Posted

You must insist via your doctors that the antibiotics given are not working and the must look more in depth and issue the correct antibiotic.........Don't let it rest. keep on them....  The procedure should not be a hit and miss situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.