replacement shoulder

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 11 weeks post opp.  I also had a fracture of the humourus as well as shoulder replacement after accident.  My shoulder is still extreamley stiff and painfull . I am having physical therapy once a week , but continue with the excersises at home.  My problem is I am finding it almost impossible to excersise daily because of the pain afterwards.   I am so worried I will not get use of arm back . Is it normal to still be so stiff and sore.  I cant lift my arm out straight at right angles yet ..I feel progress is slow .  I would love someone to talk to who is going , or has gone through this.  I am 62 so I guess age is against me.           Thanks for reading :-)  

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm 7 weeks to complete reverse shoulder replacement. I was doing good 4 weeks in then it changed to painfull after exercise and eating with that hand and other every day things. My doctor says it is scar tissue. I'm very concerned that I won't get back to my busy active life. Feeling a bit down. Finally was so bumbed I started to drive my car. I did ok but not with out that sharp pain if making a sudden move. I feel I should be further along. Not sure where I should be at this time.

• Posted

Hi Denice,

Reverse shoulder replacement is not the same as mine. So I speak from my experience 11/2016.  7 weeks is early and I understand the angst of getting your wing back.  DO NOT do anything your anre not supposed to per the MD.  I am not sure it is scar tissue but I am not a doctor.  I can only suggest that you follow PT to the letter.  Heat before the exercise and ice down after.  Stretch your arm as you can tolerate and again DO NOT DO THE MOTIONS YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO e.g. slamming a car door, right angle, and drive when you really can with "permission".  There is going to be pain that you have to tolerate.  I had total should er replacement and worked like a dog to get back to my life.  I play hardball, softball, and volleyball.  I am 56.  You can do this with your voracious appetite to return to your active lifestyle.  Patience is key.  You don't want to let stupid delay your return.  If you know what I mean.  

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Given the severity of your injuries and the replacement you are going to experience pain and stiffness and at 11 weeks your ability to do anything is great.  Pay close attention to the physical therapy, might have to "play through the pain" a little and be consistent.  Heat before exercising and icing down afterwards also helps.  I had my shoulder replaced, by choice and inevitability, and I am back playing sports just like before; baseball, softball, volleyball etc.  I am 56.  I believe that you will get through this with some tenacity, tolerance of pain, and paying attention and strictly complying with the PT.  Do not do any more than you can or are expected to and hang in there for it is worth it.

• Posted

WHi all. I have just found this conversation and it is very close to my heart. Fell off a ski lift and onto my right (dominant) shoulder in France 3 years ago. Shattered the whole ball and fractured the humerus right through. The whole lot was thrown behind the right shoulder blade. X-ray was horrendous as absolutely no bone to be seen from above a few inches above the elbow. Had emergency reconstructive surgery in France then follow up surgery a year later to remove some of the screws. Have what the doctor says is ‘sort of a joint’. Have not had replacement although that is next step if shoulder deteriorates further. Pain was horrendous for months and months after the fall. All the exercises and limitiations I see in this thread I also had. Shoulder now slopes down and yes my clothes don’t stay on it either. Bone has collapsed due to necrosis of numeral head over last 3 years. However not ready to have replacement as Dr in UK says only recommended if I am in unbearable pain. I have clicking and catching in the joint but no longer the agony of the pain in the first year. Massive limitation in range of movement and a much more serious injury than I could ever have imagined at the time. Spent a lot of the first year feeling depressed and downhearted about the pain. Have started to accept the major change in my life and the challenges this injury has given me.....not an easy process I must say.Physio is key. I still protect my arm from sudden jars as it is painful. I have painful scar tissue in neck which has not broken down despite continuing massage treatment and sound therapy. Life is more limited than it was and I have not skied since mainly due to arm being damaged and painful not because of fear. I look a bit odd as I am asymmetrical when I look in mirror....is that the same as after a full replacement?? I was told I would be okay in 3-6 months but it was more like 2 years before I felt anything like back to a new ‘normal’.Dr says this might last me 10 years before I will need full replacement ( I will be 68 so quite a bit older by then).  I feel for all of you posting on here. The pain is real. Treatment is different in UK compared to North America. I am undecided as to where I should go for treatment in the future. Hope this thread continues as I think so many people going through the pain would find a conversation like this to be supportive and helpful. Take care all!
    • Posted

I did almost exactly the same thing skiing in Italy 4 years ago! I had reconstructive surgery in Italy then further surgery to remove screws about 6 months later. Pain was terrible and the circulation to the bone was never good enough for the humeral head to heal and I too had necrosis. I had a shoulder replacement about a year after the initial accident then had to have revision surgery to reduce the size of the ball about a year later. I now had no pain but only about 50% ROM. Haven't skied since the accident, and I really miss it! I will eventually have to have a reverse replacement since me rotator cuff is severely damaged but they don't like to do those on people less than 70 (I'm 58). If you are looking for a another opinion on what you can do next I highly recommend Simon Lambert at UCL. He also has a private practice at Spire Bushey. Worth seeing him just to have a chat and see what he says. If your cuff is not too damaged he may recommend a replacement now. It is unlikely that you will be able to wait 10 years if the humeral head has deteriorated already and you have necrosis. Get another opinion. The replacement surgery is nothing compared to the pain of a shattered shoulder! Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.