Request Advice for Prostate Cancer

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am Mohammad Asaduzzaman, age: 45+ years from Bangladesh. I am married and I have two kids whose are 11 & 8 years old. I am patient of prostate cancer which was found in August 2016. Then my PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) level was 7.1 ng/ml.

On February 24, 2017, I checked my PSA level found 6.83 ng/ml and Gleason’s Grade 3+3=6/10 by biopsy test.

Now I am under treatment/observation of Dr. Dibakar Ghosh (MS. FRCS) of Columbia Asia Hospital, India since March 2017. By considering my age and family, he didn’t advise me to undergo surgery. He suggested me to take three (3) Hormone Therapy (Zoladex Injection) in one year with a 4-month gap. It was completed in 2017. He also suggested me to take Calutide tablets 50mg (1 tablet/per day) with a 1-month gap. And it’s continuing.

When Calutide 50mg is continuing, my PSA level gradually decreases below 4ng/ml. But when I stop to take calutide, then my PSA level again increase near +- 6 ng/ml.

Recently one of the famous Bangladeshi urologists has advised me to undergo surgery or radiotherapy immediately.

I am very much confused that what decision should be taken now.

You are requested to advise me what should be done at my current stage.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but I have had PC and the treatment was hormone tablets followed by radio therapy. psa was 7 and Gleason score of 7. and age at time of treatment 75.

After treatment psa has been almost undetectable. Hope this helps. Richard

• Posted

I am 53 and had my prostate removed 2 years ago. My PSA's over an 18 month period continued to rise. When I finally had a biopsy, my PSA was 6.8, and I was 3+3 on the Gleason scale. I have three child and did not intend to have anymore, so the decision was easy for me. I didn't want to leave cancer in my body to grow if I didn't have to. Post surgery, everything is fine except my sex life. I am able to get enough of an erection for penetration, but it's not the same. That being said, I am glad to be cancer free.

• Posted

There are options for you. At your age, you should consider all your options. I had Brachytherapy 3 years ago. That is the low dose radiation seed implants. It is done as an outpatient procedure and takes about 45 minutes. With any treatment, there are side effects. I think with the Brachytherapy, the side effects are minimal. Due to the low dose radiation, the chances of damage to surrounding tissues - colon and bladder are reduced. After 3 years, I am back to where I was before the prostate cancer - and everything works as before. Check your treatment options in Bangladesh. See if Brachytherapy is offered there.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

im not a dr but i work in oncology, and normally in a patient of your age and gleason score we would recommend radiotherapy with continued zoladex.

• Posted

Your Gleason 6 is considered by many as NOT being a cancer.

You need not worry too much.

You should not consider multiple treatments such as surgery +Radiation Therapy (RT)+ hormone injections. That cocktail is reserved for Gleason 8+

I am unfamiliar with Caludite but what you say about Zolodex makes sense. I toll was on Zolodex for a year. There is NO evidence that >1 year on it helps.

You should ask your treating doctors what RT they suggest. High doses over a short time period or low doses over a longer (2 mth) period.

My history: Gleason 9 age 51

• Posted

I have advance prostate cancer and Iam 64

I started firmagon shots and it brought my psa to 2 from 9 in a month I am checking into other roads They suggest radiation ,I might do that after I have two other consultations from two other doctors

since your only 54 its a hard decision I hear and talked to a lot of people who had the surgery( and it was robatic surgery ) and they have put up with the side effects but they are alive and cancer free .

Did you have a bone scan ? did the cancer spread out side >

also think of seeds being implanted

do your research but ask your doctor about frimagon as it is a hormone drug and you must get shots every month . and if you get the shots and your PSA drops at least this gives you a few more months to do research to help you decide on what path you take . keep in touch

and I wish you the best and prayers are with you and all of the people who have cancer

Henry

• Posted

Have you considered changing from firmagon to zolodex. The latter is every three months unlike firmagon (monthly).

Also zolodex gave me far less hot flushes than firmagon and LESS localised pain post injection.

• Posted

Hi Barny

Thanks No I did not i will check as of now Frimgon works but let me ask you did you do radiation m radiologist want the usual 45 days plus HDR brachytherapy at the end for a boost has anybody do that brachytherapy

Thank you

Get well to all

henry

• Posted

I did not do brachytherapy. I did one week of high dose radiation (that was useless) and then 9 weeks of low dose (more common) radiation.

All I know is that combining one treatment with another gives a better chance for a cure.

• Posted

I am in Australia. My highest PSA was 3.8 yet 3+4 PCa was detected via MRI and biopsy in 2015 when prostate was removed by RP. I suspect Gleasons 6 and below are treated with active surveillance and 7s usually with surgery or radiation. PSAs are a guide and fluctuations rather than just the level are more relevant. I have suffered reasonably bad incontinence since my RP and this is expected to continue for life (now 76). This situation is likely attributed to many years of BPH treatment altering the lower sphincter's capacity to reduce leaking. As its now 4 years since my Cancer things may have improved so get proper advice and remember healthcare professionals will push their particular area of treatment so check both options.

All the best going forward

• Posted

Hi,

Doctors uses various treatment methods for prostate cancer such as Cryosurgery, Radiation therapy, Hormonal therapy, Chemotherapy etc.

Your healthcare provider will suggest you the right treatment method according to your health status.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.