Request prostate scan. U.K.

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI. Can I request a prostate scan through my doctor? I may have to pay but if it was swift and could put my mind at rest I would consider it. I live in the North East of England and wonder if there is a reputable health care facility that could help me, or my doctor could help me with.       Thanks friends.

Could this be useful if I'm suffering with BHP and I have not had any procedures.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What type of scan u have in mind? Unltrasound? If yes, it is called TRUS. I had it done. The resolution of TRUS is not great. The main purpose of TRUS is to measure the size of the prostrate. If the prostrate is "greatly enlarged", sure, the scan will tell u. However, if is somewhat enlarged, no one could tell u if it is the cause of BPH unless u have a scan before the enlargement to compare with.

if u suspect u have BPH, the definitive diagnosis is Cystoscopy, in which a scope is inserted into the prostectic urethra, the part of urethra within the prostate. With it, the urologist can tell how bad the blockage is.

In US, all one needs is the insurance will pay for it. The urologist would not prevent a patient from doing either TRUS or cystoscopy, both are income for them. TRUS costs about $400, cystoscopy costs from $1000-2000. The latter requires General anathesia and is an outpatient procedure. There will be blood in the urine for about a week. It has no other complications that I know of.

• Posted

I am surprised to see this advice thatva cystoscopy should need general anaesthetic because mine didn't and I don't think that is normally needes... Nb I am a terrible wuss and if offered one, would probably have said yes. But it didn't warrant one.

• Posted

Hi. We have the facility in the north east of England for MRI scan. I have been suffering from BPH for a long time and been on medication. Would such a scan help in asserting my problem. I seem to be not getting better with the meds. Could it assert it it was my prostate or maybe a bladder issue. Thanks all
  • Posted

Also BPH symptoms are very noticeable and u don't need an urologist or cystoscopy or scannto tell u. . Just. Google it. If u are not suffering from it, then u are not having serious symptoms.

• Posted

One good indicator of BPH is to score yourself on the IPSS test (International Prostate Symptom Score). For example, my score before Rezum was about 27. About three months after, it was 12.

My neighbor had a cytoscopy without general anesthesia. He said that he wouldn't want to do it again, but there is an example that you don't HAVE to go under general anesthesia for that.

• Posted

My apology to all.   Indeed, according to mayo clinic: "Cystoscopy may be done in a testing room, using a local anesthetic jelly to numb your urethra. Or it may be done as an outpatient procedure, with sedation. Another option is to have cystoscopy in the hospital during general anesthesia."

I had mine  under general anesthesia. Urine in blood for 4-5 days suggests it is a rather intrusive procedure. It seems that which form of pain relief depends on the patient's tolerance.

such scope is also used in TURP, GLL snd HoLEP. 

• Posted

I've had three using the gel with  the thin modern scopes and they were quite pain free with no after effects. They only take three or four minutes and you can watch them on the screen and ask questions.

In 1981 I had one with the old rigid scope with general anesthesia and did not pass blood but had discomfort for a week afterwards.

• Posted

Thanks! There are newer scope for cystoscopy with less suffering is very useful info. Readers who want to have cystoscopy should find an urologist who use newer scope.
  • Posted

I've replied to this and your other post with a PM as my replies somehow went missing.

• Posted

Thanks Derek. Ive been prescribed Avodart today. See my post today. All the best.
  • Posted

If you have urinary symptoms then a urine dip test to exclude infection should be the first with a flow rate test to see if there is obstruction- the latter may need referral. 

If you are worried about prostate cancer then a PSA blood test and examination with your GP first and then an MRI (may require referral) if these are abnormal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.