Research

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone read the research recently about the small trial Ron Davis did in America where they found deformality in the red blood cells of cfs/me patients.

Deformability: refers to the ability of red blood cells to change shape in order to pass through capillaries (small blood vessels). He quoted:-

Normally, red blood cells change their shape, from a round disc to an elongated oval shape, in order to pass into smaller capillaries.This change in shape enables the continuous flow of blood (not slowed down by less blood cells being able to fit through at one time), in order to maintain optimum levels of oxygen supply to tissues. What these results show is that the red blood cells of people with ME/CFS are not very good at deforming (changing shape) and so blood flow through small capillaries is reduced, which may lead to a shortage of oxygen supply to tissues.This latest finding could help to explain many of the symptoms experienced.

Our data demonstrates that the significant decrease in deformability of RBCs from ME/CFS patients may have origins in oxidative stress and suggests that altered microvascular perfusion can be a possible cause for ME/CFS symptoms.”

“Our data also suggests that RBC deformability may serve as a potential biomarker for ME/CFS, albeit further studies are necessary for non-specific classification of the disease.”

The number of recruits is clearly very small. So, we will need to have results from much larger numbers of people with ME/CFS (in various stages of illness and of differing illness severities) and confirmatory results from other independent research groups.”

I found this very interesting & gave me hope that this may potentially be a bio marker to diagnose the illness. Although it could take some time to do more trials on a bigger scale. It is a start & sounds promising. Once they find a bio marker they could go on to find a cure 🙏🏻

My initial thought was would a blood transfusion not be the answer? Or is it something the body is doing to make the blood cells become hardened so as not able to change shape I wonder? I have no medical background so don’t know. Seems to easy an answer maybe. Surely they’ve looked into this?!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Interesting, I hadn't heard about this! There are so many different studies highlighting so many different physiological abnormalities in CFS patients, that it really makes me think there must be some underlying cause of all of these issues, rather than the issues themselves (blood cells, immune system, mitochondria, what-have-you) being the underlying cause. But the more we know the better. It does give me hope that these things are being discovered.

• Posted

This is very interesting. I googled 'altered microvascular perfusion' and it mentions insulin, didn't understand it all though.

I have small fibre neuropathy which the neurologist said can go hand in hand with CFS/ME. It can also be caused by diabetes. My test for diabetes came back clear.

Any research is valuable even if only to rule things out.

Thank you for posting.

Sarah

• Posted

Yes I agree any research is good. When they come up with something new it gives us a little more hope. I also agree with grailmouth that there must be an underlying cause for all of these issues rather than the issues themselves. Something is causing the body to dysfunction & be off balance. There has been lots of studies into mitochondria & the HPA axis which is controlled by hormones. I’ve often felt this is where it stems from, but not sure if its the cause or effect. I just don’t understand how these scientists seem to know so much but can do so little to fix it, although I know funding is a major issue.

• Posted

You have a point there, all these eminent scientist with all the research into ME/CFS possible causes but not getting any nearer to solving the problem. All it has done is keep the hope of people high and alive as they continue to do more and more research. Recent research regarding inflammation in certain region of the brain in people with ME/CFS could be the cause and they are using NATURAL anti- inflamatories ,like tumeric as a treatment.I think that brain inflammation, red blood cells having difficulty to change shape so it can squeeze into capillaries, Mitochondria not able to re energise itself after rest, problem with thyroid T3 and T4 and anemia, these are all symptoms of CFS. In general doctors are treating only the symptoms.

• Posted

Yes I totally agree. It’s no good treating the symptoms we have to get to the root cause. Most people are super sensitive to any drugs given by the medical profession. I like to try alternative/ more natural remedies myself rather than putting nasty chemicals in my body that it can’t cope with. This latest research on Brain inflammation is very promising & feel it could be the root cause - although WHY the brain becomes inflamed is still a mystery at the moment. However if treatments are successful we don’t need to know the why’s initially (albeit we have become our own scientists & like to know these things. Plus if we knew why it would help to avoid future problems.) however we are so desperate for a cure the why’s can come after. Let’s hope 2019 will be the year we can begin to piece our lives back together & start living again!! 🙏🏻 Wishing everyone a Happy & Healthy New Year!

• Posted

there was also a report from kings college (london) that cfs is linked to problems with the immune system, which i think sounds about right too. I'd like them to look at a study between those who kept themselves fit and active and cfs, as ive heard different people (including myself) who were very active in their personal and work life and then suffering fatigue and other symptoms.

• Posted

Yes, In my experience most people with cfs/me have been very active, hard working, conscientious people. I myself was very fit & active- a real gym bunny, but also a single mum of 2 at the time with my own hairdressing business. I wonder if we push our body past it’s limits & reach burn out. Stress can also be a big factor. When you are so driven in all areas of your life you can be very hard on yourself then when added stress factors come in we often keep our selves busy to not “feel” & the body gets overloaded with the stress hormone & we keep pushing & pushing. If I knew then what I know now I think I may have done things a little differently. Easy to say isn’t it but sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

• Posted

that is what happened to me. i became infected with ebv and went through a divorce at the same time. i pushed myself because i didn't want to feel.

• Posted

Yes interesting how most of us have similar links or triggers to what may have been the cause & most people I’ve spoken to were also very fit & active. I was just listening to the you tube video someone recommended the other day about brain inflammation. Wow everyone should listen to this!!! Fingers crossed he’s hit the nail on the head with his findings & looking a little more promising into finding a cure.. although I realise this could take some time as needs a lot more funding. All these scientist need to come together with their areas of expertise. Feeling hopeful there could be an end to all this suffering 🙏🏻

• Posted

Definitely there is a problem with the immune system. something has gone wrong in most cases after a viral infection with the EBV virus. One has to ask why some people develop this condition and others do not?

I wish you all a happy new year and wish that there will be good news in 2019.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.