Research: GCA & PMR

Posted , 12 users are following.

The Research & Development section of Queen Elizabeth Hospital Gateshead NHS Foundation Trust will now undertake qualitative research following the result of the basic survey which we did last year on ‘Your Ears’. We donated £1000 start-up costs. All future costs will now be paid by the NHS.

They need at the very least 300 people with GCA, 300 with GCA&PMR and 300 with PMR. It would be extremely useful if more patients participate. Increase in numbers make it more viable.

YOU now need to contact the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Research and Development in one of the following ways with your name and address. Subject heading: Research: GCA&PMR.

Email: Susan.pugmire@nhs.net

Postal Address:

Sister Sue Pugmire

Co-Investigator/Research Nurse

Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Rheumatology Unit/Jubilee Hospital

Gateshead NE9 6SX

Once your initial enquiry has been received research documentation will be sent to you via the internet or post. The postal reply will include a prepaid envelope for you to return the completed documentation.

The first part of a long journey showed that further research was essential and whilst we will be kept in the loop the hard work will now be done by our NHS. This sort of research is not undertaken by Pharmaceutical Companies. Without the NHS this research would not be undertaken.

The NHS works in a quiet sort of way and the important contribution it makes to research and development is often overlooked or not just known.

Mavis Smith

Chair

PMR&GCAuk North East Support

Charity Reg NO: 1138409

website: www.pmr-gca-northeast.org.uk Email pmrgcafightersne@gmail.com 

A more detailed explanation can be found in the Summer Issue of ‘You are Not Alone’ which is on the website click ‘All Newsletters’ on Home Page. Seeking your help now it has been handed over this is the final part that PMR&GCAuk North East Support have to do and we could not have carried this out if this site had not continued to support us. If you have questions you can send us an email. 

Finally for the help and assistance ‘Patient info’ and Alan have given to us over the past 10 years.

THANK YOU

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are people living abroad able to join in this - as it is an NHS research project I suppose not.
  • Posted

I did not think to ask about outside the UK.

I will ask the question and let you know as soon as I have the answer.

• Posted

Hi Emis Moderator, I also in the states and would like to survey. Thanks 🙂

• Posted

Sorry folks, the research is for UK residents only.

But hey guys you all contributed to the basic questionnaire and for that input we thank you.

Their is also an International Survey running sonce 2008 and it can be found on the above website like ( In red) under the heading Research.

I cannot ask anymore of the moderators on this site, they do their utmost to keep us safe from harm.

• Posted

Hello Best friend (my classification).

Just to say there has been a good response to date, but we do need more. So if anyone is reading this and lives in the UK, just 5 minutes of your time on the net or one 2nd class stamp.  We are being offered the opportunity to help ourselves.

Thank you.

• Posted

Have applied just now to do this via email, and it was returned stating this address is now Susan.pugmire@nhs.net

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.