Research: osteoporosis and genes that

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just watched a researcher on TV who has been conducting a very large research into osteoporosis. The research continues with more subjects being added. The results are still a fair way off and treatment following that even longer away. Breaking a hip can be very dangerous for some. Sadly, there seems to be little already done for osteoporosis and maybe the drug companies have something to answer for. He seemed unimpressed with present medication.

Some important points he made included using early diagnosis to provide treatment using the gene technology. A process that will take years. 

I was not checked until 70 years of age so that must change.

People will eventually know the genes that influence their acquiring conditions like osteoporosis. Exciting times ahead for the generation following me which is something.

He was guarded in his comments so must be raking legal advice.

Pity this is only happening now. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Posted before I had finished

Heading should read ... genes that predict it

• Posted

Hi Kathleen 

Are you in the uk?  If so, can you tell me which channel and when this was on.

I badly fractured my wrist 2 years ago and now have a lot of metal work in it.  It now has post traumatic arthritis in it, and I suffered for a year from a weird thing called complex regional pain syndrome, which is extremely unpleasant.  I was 54 years old when I fractured my wrist ( a classic sign of osteoporosis) but was not scanned until a year later after numerous visits to physios and my GP.  I have since had a compressed wedge fracture of my vertebrae and a new hip.  I take Alendronic acid , vitamin d and calcium, and following my hip replacement am slowly returning to exercise, I swim, walk, dance and use the gym.  I am hoping all these things will improve my health.

Chris

• Posted

Christine, I am in Australia. It is an Australian study and Canadian study.

153 new gene variants associated with the loss of bone mineral density have been discovered. Especially important is a linked gene GPC6 with a protein that is present on its surface of cells that make it a viable drug target.

It will take a long time to get to the point of actually having a drug that we can purchase to help our osteoporosis.

• Posted

Can you remember what the programme was called and when it was on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.