Resecting the median lobe and Urolift

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I have a large median lobe and a prostate of 57 cc. I have seen two urologists that say that in order to do the Urolift I have to resect the median lobe by Turp and then they would proceed to do the urolift. One of them says that when they resect the median lobe, I would not get Retrogade Ejaculation because it is not part of the prostate sphincter and therefore it is safe. The other urologist says that there is no guarantee and I may have retro after the median lobe resect. He also said that the Urolift does not guarantee that you will not get retro and there is a  between 2 and 5 % chance of retro. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I would like to hear from someone who did the median lobe resect and the urolift. Thanks

Patrick

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Patrick, I'm with Chuck on this. If you Google South Coast urology Australia and look at the Urolift section there you will see a video on how to do a middle lobe as part of the other lobes with Urolift devices. Dr Peter Chin who along with another Australian surgeon invented Urolift has done this video. Send it to your Doctors. I have had Urolift and before I had it Peter thought there coudl be a problem with my middle lobe but he was pretty sure he could pull it back using a Urolift device. He has done this many times.His last option was to use the knife if he had too. In the end the middle lobe was no issue at all. Seems like no one really knows what it is like till they get the hubble telescope up there. The Urolift is well worthwhile and I have a new life now - improvement started in a week. It has been almost two months now and it's even better. One thing to watch out for is infections - especially if you have to have a catheter afterwards. You need to get on top of it quickly with Antibiotics. Good luck.

Kevin

• Posted

Kevin  I had mine about 6 weeks ago.  Most of the time they do not use a catheter but my urologist used one on me because I have a problem with peeing on demand. It can out in two day and my doctor gave me antibiotics before I left the hospital  My insurance covered it.  The best thing I ever did.  It is always best to have a less evasive procedure thay have them start cutting away. and tell you it will be the same which its not Take care  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.