Resection recovery fear

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all

Ive been pretty much unwell with constant, unremitting Crohn’s for 15 years. I’m due to have an illeostomy in approximately 4 weeks time, I’ve been in a steroid dependant flare up for 17 months (each surgery attempt thus far has needed rescheduling due to infection, high temperature etc) I have become very weak during this lengthy stretch of bad health, I have constant fatigue severe enough to render me bedbound many days, my general health is poor and I’m at a very low ebb to be honest. I’m concerned about the impact on my recovery from what my surgeon keeps reminding me is “major surgery” I guess my question is more of an open - what will it be like- to anyone who has been through this surgery, has anyone gone into this surgery so wholly run down and physically weak, will it protract my recovery, indeed will I feel better after surgery than I do now! I’m so worried I guess I’d just like to hear from anyone who’s had this kind of operation and what to expect in its aftermath....thanks in advance 💟

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My own experience is a bit different to yours in that I had a colostomy operation.

I had been really ill for a few weeks and 40mg of steroids wasn't doing anything. My doctor knew something was going on other than the usual flare. He sent for an ambulance and I was pretty much on my last legs when I went in. In fact, I passed out on the toilet in the ward (I was lucky, I had a side room!). So they whipped me down to the operating theatre to find out what was going on. During the check-up before surgery, they said my potassium level was too low and sent me back up to the ward. They put me on a drip for several hours before I was ready to go back down to the operating theatre. So I ended up having an emergency operation at 1am where they took the nasty part of the big bowel away. It turned out I had a perforated bowel with a huge abcess growing around the outside of the bowel!

Yes, I was very ill when I went in and had an unexpected operation! The recovery time is around 6 weeks or more. The operation helped me a lot because they cut out the really bad bit that was causing all the trouble so I was able to go back to work and I felt really good.

That's just my own experience. Other people will have their own experiences to share with you. The point is, an operation can and probably will make all the difference to your quality of life.

Good luck and feel better soon.

Best wishes, Pat x

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying Pat you’ve been really reassuring. I’m sorry you were so unwell but happy to hear how much the operation improved your life. Thanks again, I hope you’re as well as can be x

• Posted

Hello, Sadly.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through such a really stressful time.  My husband has Crohn's disease, and was very poorly with it about 20 years ago.  He was in such a lot of pain that it was quite a relief when he was forced to have surgery.  Like you, he was in very poor shape, and not fit enough for the surgery.  As a result, he had to take liquid meal replacements for a while to build himself up.  It took a little while for him to recover from the operation, but, as soon as he was able, he did a lot of exercise to get his fitness level up.  He would never have gone through with the surgery if he had any choice, but he has been so much better since then.  Because he had a bowel resection, he does have to be careful about eating things with seeds or skin, but, apart from that, he has been pretty well.

?I have also had a bowel resection when I had a benign tumour removed, and I had a colostomy bag for three months.  I'm perfectly fine now, but have to have repeat colonoscopies annually to make sure all is well.

?I do hope all goes well for you.  I feel sure that you will find your health much improved by the surgery. Best wishes. x

• Posted

Oh Ann thank you so much for your response! I’m sorry to hear that your husband became so unwell but delighted that he’s made such a good recovery since the surgery with exercise and determination. It’s very reassuring.

Thanks once again, I sincerely hope you both continue to enjoy good health

Tonia 💟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.