Resection surgery....any advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday to discuss urgent resection surgery on my small bowel. Infliximab's not working and my Crohns is quite severe & now causing an obstruction. I'm not overly worried about it at the moment, I just want to feel well. I'm just looking for any advice anyone can give me on what it's like, what I should expect my recovery time to be and is there anything I should know (that my doc might not tell me!) I've got loads of questions for him but would appreciate any advice from someone that's had it done. 

Thanks,

Nicki 😳

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi nickiI,

I had a bowl resection in march after a long time in severe pain, I had quite a few problems post op, my bowl went into shock for 3 weeks as well as my vains being messed up from all the drugs being pumped in.

At the time I felt I had made mistake having the surgery but now I feel better then I have in a long time.

Make sure you ask as many questions as you like and tell them to be straight with you.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Daniel. I've got loads of questions prepared for the doc. Hope he's ready for me tomorrow, lol!! 

Glad to hear you are starting feeling better now. Onwards and upwards, eh? 😄

Nicki 😄

• Posted

Hi daniel666,

I ended up having an urgent right hemicolectomy 4 weeks ago. Wow! Doesn't it hurt??? 

I just wondered how you are doing and how your recovery is going? I feel ok, a bit sore but getting fed up of doing nothing!!! I know I've got to give it time but I'm impatient, lol!

Thanks for your advice, I asked loads of questions and felt I was well informed about what the surgeon was going to do but I didn't really get much in the way of recovery time, I suppose everyone has different healing rates which makes it difficult to say. 

Anyway, thanks again 😄

Nicki 

• Posted

I have had surgery 5 times ( bowel resections) no bag yet. I have a hernia because I tried to do to much to soon. I would say that a good three months as long as there is no infection complications is usually about right. I am on humira at the moment and heading for another operation. I would say thar once you go under the knife once it is more than likely you will go again again especially if like me its in your small bowel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.