Resection surgery coming up, quality of life after resection? Any noticeable long term effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've now had two micro-perf's on the diverticula in my sigmoid colon in 6 months.

My first micro-perf resulted in a Sepsis blood infection that almost killed me, this second round I fortunately caught it before there was a blood infection, but the surgeon (US) said it is time to get elective surgery once it is fully healed / recovered ASAP to resection / remove the sigmoid colon entirely.

Reading through the procedure it seems fairly straight forward, but when looking at the purpose of the sigmoid colon being removed (the S shaping allowing to pass gas without crapping yourself), I am wondering if bowel and gas movements are just going to be uncertain the rest of my life?

Also the first IBS attack that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced caused an erectile dysfunction where my erection slightly curves to the left, I assumed that was a result of the shocking pain in that region and I am deeply concerned that this kind of trauma to that entire region I may come out with much more significant problems down there.

If anyone could comment on having had the procedure, and what the result was I'd greatly appreciate it, I cannot hardly eat or sleep thinking about having this resection done as going to the gym and eating better I did not foresee another micro perf happening again.

Thank you!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i am so sorry you have had such stress over the up and coming surgery.

YOU will have a better life going forward to your better quality of life. KEEP positive. YOU MUST!!!!

I HAVEN't had surgery and have had this disease for twenty years but i can say that tt had i endured all you have gone through im sure the quality of your life will be better. sepsis is nothing to fool around with. GOOD luck, GODS BLESSINGS AND A HUG TO YOU! please keep us posted on your recovery.

• Posted

I am kind of approaching it as a necessary evil and see how I come out the other side, I had back surgery that turned into a post-op nightmare from a simple micro-discectemy on my L4 and L5 vertebrae, a lot of unforeseen pains and nightmare medications (Gabapentin - UGH).

So its incredibly hard to walk into this thinking yay for me, but I will definitely update for others facing this same procedure, thanks for the kind words 😃

• Posted

I had the op 17 months ago, total anterior resection. it has taken a long time for my bowels to settle down, in the first few weeks it was frequent urgent trips to the loo but this has improved over time. gas was also a big problem. I have had to change my eating habits to eat small meals and cut down considerably the amount (a change all to the good in my case). i find I can eat most things in moderation and not having to suffer the constant round of pain and strong doses of antibiotics has certainly made it all worth while. As a female I cannot comment on your other problems.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply, I have to be on the absolute strongest antibiotics which makes it terribly gross to live through, but thats almost done so glad to know I'm not the only one those pound into the ground.

Hopefully a male can comment on my non-female problem, but I appreciate the input!

• Posted

Anytime. Please dont hesitate to ask. Those antibiotics are brutal. I just could not tolerate them.

• Posted

HI rommom l had bowel resection in May, iliostomy for 3 months, and a reversal in August. The first op was the biggie, but i coped very well, got good pain control etc, i managed the bag really well when i got home( never thought i coukd cope with that, but ti did ) was admitted for rehydration because my fluids were very low, but other than that, quite straightforward. Had very low iron after reversal somhad iron infusion. Bowel function is good overall. I am a vegetarian, so i cant eat bean and lentil filled soups amymore, and i have got to watch i dont have too much fibre in one day. I am an unusual,case because imoonlynhad one massive attack november 2017 . Gastroenterologist completely missed signs of diiverticulitis, kept saying i had ibs. Long story short, by the time i got to the surgeon, wonderful man, i had been walking around with a massive abscess in my bowel for5 months . By the time he got in there, he said it was a mess, with an abcess but also sticky ininflammatory material stuck to bladder etc.e removed 6 inches of bowel, and i had the bag to let things heal. Iwa s in good shape going into,surgery, 62, very fit, always excercised and ate well. The surgeon said i had been very unlucky it had got so,bad. I blame the gastro doctor for that. But seriously, i have had no,problems with the bowel,function., apart from watching for too much fibre. The only problem i have is bladder pain , where the damage was done from the abscess. I am seeing him after xmas about that. please feel free to,ask any questions , i know i had plenty! And do excuse any spelling or grammar mistakes, having such problems on this site now, they have changed something . Iwish they would fix it, it is a great forum.

• Posted

That is one of my fears is waking up with bag attached to me and the surgery to only be partially completed, could you expand on how the first part was bigger than the second?

Also have you noticed a difference in being able to pass gas without (for lack of better words) crapping yourself, or is that kind of a find a toilet when something is coming out?

Also I don't know if there are any males responding, my worst worry is honestly with how it may effect my reproductive organs, as I previously stated the first attack (HUGE pelvic pain for weeks) I came out of it with a new bend in my erection, and I am afraid the Sigmoid Colon is so close to that region there is a chance that I wake up with a non-working penis (for lack of better terms once again).

I know that sounds stupid, but getting an erection is actually semi painful now after my first attack, and I want to brace myself for the possibility of that getting worse due to major trauma in that body region.

Thanks for any input!

• Posted

I'm sorry i can't help with you about the male stuff. Hopefully there will be a male that responds. The first surgery was bigger because of the repairing they had to do, and its a big thing to lose part of your bowel. I knew i would have a bag and i was horrified. I am very fastidious and fussy about my appearance, but it wasn't as bad as i thought. I was fine. The pain control is great and its a day or 2 of fluids and then soft diet. I was in 2 weeks. Its wuite a long recovery process. You have to take it easy. The reversal is straightforward. Its a few days before the bowel kicks in and then a bit of looseness, but i had no accidents. Now my bowel functions really well, except as i said if i eat too much fibre, and by that i mean a huge amount. Passing wind normally etc. I have however been left with a very painful bladder, as i think i mentioned. Its actually really painful and I'll have to see my surgeon about it after xmas. I thought it would ease but it hasn't. I'm not sure whats going on there. Its a scary thought, but you cant keep having the attacks you are having, and its not that bad. You're "male" problems will probably resolve. Ask your surgeon about that. I am happy to help with anything else i can though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.