Resetting the Pancreas, type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone heard of resetting the pancreas?  The study involved mice that were bred to have diabetes type two.  The researchers were able to get their pancreas to produce new Beta cells. They did this be modified fasting.  I was diagnosed in May 2016.  I have been trying different vitamin and mineral and herbal supplements, and have had some success.  But, it seems like my morning glucose wants to settle in the 135 area. I do take one Metformin per day, but I am concerned about going to two.  My doctor keeps adding medications "because I am diabetic' and am more at risk.  I hate taking medications, they make me dizzy and give me headaches.  So, I don't take them.  I don't think conquering Diabetes is impossible. I want to be responsible with my own health and I have pretty good will power to make crazy changes. My latest diet change is , 1. Yogurt smoothie in the morning, 2 Breakfast of 2 eggs and 1 slice of bread or cottage cheese and fruit. 3 Nothing but water until dinner.  Dinner is shrimp or chicken and a fresh big salad with many different vegetables, and only EV Organic olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.  If I need to have a snack, it is nuts or a fruit or vegetable,  Coffee is okay anytime but only with cream or milk.  My results are that my glucose is staying under 140 and more often in the 90 to 111 area,  I think if I can keep this up, my pancreas will reset to a normal spot under 100.  I think the Atkins diet is stupid and will end up killing the 'host'.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Jonathan, sounds like you’re doing a great job! I’d recommend some sliced chicken, turkey or other lean protein fir lunch- nothing between breakfast and dinner is way too long to go without eating.  Not sure if I understood you right. I’m hoping you’re using unsweetened yogurt for your smoothies.

I don’t know about resetting your pancreas. But, following my mother’s diabetic ketoacidosis, I kept her on a very strict diet for the first three months. The only carbs were a small piece of gluten-free bread at one meal, a half a piece of fruit each at the other two meals. At the time, she wasn’t able to eat much meat, so we did a lot of yogurt and low-fat cheese. After only one month, she started transitioning from injectables to oral medication. After another few months, I warned her off the Metformin with herbs. But I even had to stop giving her the herbs because I was afraid her blood sugar might be too low. I slowly started introducing more foods once she seemed stable and have had no further problems and no need for medications. 

I myself have hypothyroid disease and have had horrible side effects from thyroid medications. I’ve gained a massive amount of weight and nothing seems to be able to get rid of the massive bloat and water retention.  This whole cycle seemed to crescendo over the holidays due to more sweets than usual and my acupuncturist bring out of town. I was sick as a dog!

I recently ran across symptoms for pancreatitis and realizing this is likely a huge issue for me, came up with a diet change and supplements to help. What did I do? For the first week I ate baby portions only if well cooked white rice, vegetables and chicken. Mostly rice to start out with, like 1/4 cup, then added a small spoon of wellcooked (mushy carrots and greens), a few days later I added a little chicken. I was starting to get pretty hungry by the second week, so I increased my portions. I also use turmeric and bromelain combo capsules every time I ate.

Today I bought some digestive enzymes and am trying those. So far so good! 

My thought is that pancreatitis could certainly lead to diabetes. So check the symptoms and treat the entire pancreas if necessary. Remember, the pancreas produced both digestive enzymes and insulin. The liver and gallbladder also play a major role in digestion, which is of course, very related to the pancreas. 

Everything I’ve read on pancreatitis is that you have to give the pancreas a test by eating little or nothing. I chose the baby portions because I’m no good at fasting. After two weeks I feel a ton better and the massive bloat is noticeably decreasing/ yay! Rice (white)  as a staple is definitely not something I’d ever have chosen except that its easier to digest than many other things. I don’t normally eat it, actually. Bottom line is I’ve seen an amazing improvement with my pancreatic function, I can eat fruit again and the massive bloat is decreasing! I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

• Posted

Hi Catherine:  I am very impressed that you manage to get your mother from insulin dependent to totally off diabetic medications.  I'd love to know what herbs you found that helped so much.  I had high hopes for Gymnema but did not notice any results.

The reason I am thinking that fasting is the answer is that my uncle gets real bad pancreatitis.  He says that the only way to get over it is to starve the pancreas.  He will fast for days until the pain goes away.  I think you are on the right road.  But, I think you would benefit from adding more vegetables, organic if possible.  Potatoes and such have too much starch for this purpose.  But, otherwise you can eat as much salad and cucumbers and other low sugar veggies as you want.  To reduce bloat I have to eat some yogurt every day.  Bad bacteria makes lots of gas, good bacteria does not.

• Posted

Rather than regular white rice you might try brown rice or basmati rice which have lower "glycemic indexes" so should put less load on the pancreas.

• Posted

Agree that you should probably not skip lunch, causes blood glucose excursions, liver may just start spitting glycogen into your bloodstream anyway.  A little bit of carb is OK as long as it's low glycemic index, whole wheat, basmati rice, even pasta, or oatmeal, but look up the carbs and keep portions small.

• Posted

It's interesting because I have no diabetes in my family history.  I ended up with type 2 because I had major stomach issues starting about 8 years ago.  To deal with the excess acid and constant burning I would eat something every hour.  Bread, crackers, ice cream, cereal, cookies, anything to put out the fire.  Now, I realize that eating all the time will also keep the blood sugar high all the time.  The study I referred to indicated that the pancreas could be reset.  So, if a person were to keep their blood sugar low for a period of time, the pancreas would reset to a lower level as normal.  I think vegetarians may be doing this without even trying.  Vegetables seem to be the answer, a person can eat as much vegetables as they want, but to the pancreas it simulates starvation because the glucose stays so low.  Although some have starch like potatoes, which is turned to glucose.  So a person has to be selective for this to work.

• Posted

Jonathan, repeated abdominal pain can be caused by digestion problems such as pancreatitis and sensitivity to gluten (a protein contained in wheat, rye and barley). The gut problems caused by these two conditions are extensive and lead to malabsorption of food, which means you basically can eat, but you're starving because you cant get the food into your system properly. This malnutrition leads to a myriad of endocrine disorders. Might be something to consider, look up some of the online symptoms and see if they sound familiar.

• Posted

Yes, Jonathan, I think you're on track. My mother's diet was very limited sugars and carbs, so like , one apple split between two meal and one small piece of gluten free bread. Basically a gluten free-paleo-low carb diet.

I recently found I have Autoimmune pancreatitis due to a thyroid medication. I can't touch sugar. It makes me really sick. When I realized it could be pancreatitis, I found that yes, fasting gives the pancreas a rest. However, I'm really bad at fasting, so I came up with baby portions of white rice, vegetables and chicken. After two weeks on this, I'm feeling tons better and have significant reduction in edema and belly bloat. I'm also using turmeric with Bromelain supplement to reduce bloating and aid in digestion, and just started a more broad spectrum digestive enzyme supplement. As I'm feeling better, or super hungry, I'm increasing my portions. I'm able to eat a bit of fruit now. Everything I've read is that people have pancreatitis attacks. Mine would be subclinical pancreatitis, but by the beginning of January I was in horrible pain and sick as a dog. So I don't think that's subclinical anymore.  I have calcified bumps that also indicate Autoimmune pancreatitis, so I'm taking a supplement made at home using dilute borax.

There's a huge connection between liver, gallbladder, pancreas, adrenals and thyroid conditions, as well as the immune system and gut. One goes down, they all do... eventually.

• Posted

The Borax kind of freaked me out so I looked it up and it does sound interesting.  Not ready for it right now, maybe later.
  • Posted

I think you are all doing great efforts. Congratulations!

I also stick to absolutely no sugar, no processed food, and I eat mostly low-carb.

I limit carbs to max 30g per meal but I eat 4 meals per day. I am underweight so I can´t afford to lower too much my carb consumption so its a tricky balance.

Skipping meals is likely not good for glucose control. Some diabetics can also be triggered by gluten sensitivity so going gluten-free can also help (it cetainly helped me). I have my fasting levels around 95-110, and post-pandrial between 120 to 170, depending how many carbs I eat (if goes above 160 it I indulge a bit in the carbs), Otherwise a low-carb meal keeps my glucose under 140. I take no medication, no insulin. Exercise, good sleep and relaxation are other great things.

I also eat some blueberries or salad before every meals. As well as protein or fat with every meal (example: fish, eggs, yogurt, avocado, tofu) I found that it significantly lowers my sugar spikes.

Its certainly possible to reset your pancreas for the milder cases of diabetes, and keep it very under control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.