Residing gums - is this LS related!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I went to my dentist this week and she pointed out that I’ve got residing gums. Asked me to purchase electric toothbrush, at the time I didn’t ask any questions or think too much as I already have other heath issues. 

Now after looking this up I’m freaking out to be honest. Having to deal with LS is a daily struggle and now the possible issue of loosing my gums too & having loose teeth doesn’t make life any more positive. 

- does anyone else suffer from this & is it related to LS in some shape or form. 

Any ideas remedies that have helped will be appreciated thank you x 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Blurplum, I don't know if receding gums is a result of LS, but I also have that issue and have had extensive dental work.  I'm 73 and my dentist and periodontist said to get a round-headed toothbrush and get a Waterpik.  Both of which I got.  I go for teeth cleaning every 3 months to keep the status quo. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Susan. My dentist said to replace toothbrush with an electric one. I’m 38 and this has knocked me for 6. Do see the dentist every 6 months & she always says my teeth are great. Never had any fillings etc or she’s not said anything about gums b4. Just worried what the future holds. 

• Posted

I do think mouth issues, including thrush, are related to LS. Every time I have a flare up, plaque is a problem. Sometimes my gums get inflamed,sometimes my tongue gets a white coating.....when things are LS calm.....none of that...
  • Posted

Hi - I think receding gums are a common occurrence as we age. Sometimes it’s the way we brush our teeth, if it’s too forceful. May have nothing to do with LS, but if you have suspicions, maybe have someone take a holistic look at your health. I was given the name of a great primary care dr who I’m hoping can piece some health mysteries together 
  • Posted

Blueplum, I too have receding gums. I am 65 and I think this is just an age issue and nothing to do with LS. Don't add to your worries.

• Posted

Hi Blueplum. I have Oral Lichen Planus but don't have receeding gums at 65. My son who's 40 has receeding gums and was told to get an electric toothbrush. I do think its a mixture of good oral hygiene and age

• Posted

My gum started receding around one tooth when I was in my twenties (many decades ago).  

I have been advised by dentists subsequently that this happened because I brushed my teeth far too vigorously and always used an extra hard toothbrush - thought that was best for keeping teeth in good conditionsad  Despite this I always suffered from tartar quite badly until I started using an electric toothbrush about ten years ago.

Don't think it has anything to do with LS to be honest.  

• Posted

I also have Oral Iichen hat started a couple of years ago.  I had a biopsy done by an Oral Surgeon and it came back diagnosed as Oral Lichen. 

I have receding gums both on the top of my last three teeth on both sides of my mouth.  I had two lower back teeth removed NOT because of the of OL but due to decay between the crown and the root.

The only thing I can tell you is the Oral Surgeon gve me a script called  Fluocinonide. You use a TINY amount on your finger to the gum area, then you swish and spit it out.  It really seems to help.  I bought an electric flosser but have to be very careful using anything in the mouth, don't brush too hard, or floss too hard.  This will harm the tissue.  I gave up potato chips and anything crunchy.

Good luck, sorry for any bad news, stay well. 

• Posted

Dental professional of 17 years and fellow LS sufferer here, I do not believe receding gums and LS are related (yay!)

There are 3 main reasons people see receding gums: 1. Gum (periodontal) disease 2. brushing too aggressively 3. clenching/grinding or imbalance in how teeth fit together.

Or one can exacerbate the other.

An electric toothbrush can help you not brush too hard, and improve plaque removal. A water pick is fantastic with plaque removal and helping remove plaque if gum disease is the issue (depending on what dental work you have done, the water pick is better than floss)

if you are clenching or grinding, a night guard can help. if teeth are crowded braces may be necessary relieve the stress points.

Good news with everything above you should be able to stop or slow the recession, and have one less thing to worry about with our awful LS symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.