Residual dizziness after severe vertigo attack

Posted , 10 users are following.

My name is Brittany and i was diagnosed with menieres in december of 2018. ive had numerous "mini" attacks of vertigo lasting less than a few minutes with no side effects. That changed on Monday as i had a severe vertigo attack. it lasted about 4 hours of spinning and vomiting constantly. but it has been 2 days and i still can not even get out of bed. if i move my head even slightly i am very dizzy(not vertigo). is it normal to have residual dizziness for days after a severe attack? i was thinking of going to the er to get stronger meds. meclizine has not helped at all. i was prescribed the normal low salt diet and hydrochlorothiazide 25mg every other day and it has not helped. any advice would be great, thank you!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brittany,

I have great empathy for what you are going through just now; we have all been there and you are not alone. As an opinion (because nobody - not even the doctors know for sure how this disease will affect you over the next while) you are experiencing the "onset phase" which for some people can be short and longer for others. Everybody experiences this differently; the good news is that it too will pass. I experienced severe vertigo for about 4 months, at least 2 to 3 attacks per week including the residual dizziness.

Your medication now becomes important, speak to your doctor, high doses of betahistine are needed over this period, which you gradually come off when the vertigo passes.

You will experience many emotional feelings over this period, try to stay positive because your brain, through your thinking, has a lot to do with your emotional well being.

Good diet, no smoking, exercise, low caffeine and salt - find your own triggers.

Hey, the good news, when it passes it stays away, I have not had an attack for a few years now, it will come back, but my life is pretty normal, wishing you all the best.

Cliff

• Posted

Hi Brittany,

I would consider the dizziness to be a normal experience

following some vertigo attacks, Some attacks will be vicious at times

some will seem minor. I used to experience disabling dizziness following violent

vertigo attacks. I now suffer chronic dizziness, without the vertigo attacks but vestibular therapy has helped me deal with it. I feel for you and understand your situation, There will be better times ahead, treasure those times, they can come far and few between attacks

I took about a month for meclizine to start helping me. You might notice some improvement

using meclizine and you may not, Everyone is different, We all wish you the best.

Bertman

• Posted

Brittany; I am just getting over a 10 day vicious cycle of this crap. Okay here's what I tried different that helped improve my down time n dizziness. I bought mineral oil heavy kind. I got a 1.0ml syringe n put about 0.4 MLS in the worse ear for 5 to 10 minutes, while laying down. I then put a tissue in it to drain n rubbed oil out. Next I did the other ear for 5 to 10 minutes. I did this every 12 hours for 5 days. I slowly noticed an improvement in balance by day 1. on day 3, I was shocked how well I was feeling. yes my worse ear did hurt during this cleansing period but I felt I had nothing to loose. By day 4 I wasn't falling over or swaying left right left. In fact I was quite steady. On day 5, I went to my dr n she said my inner ear was CLEAN. I was so thrilled.

• Posted

HI BRITTANY ,

I had Meniere's Disease for 5 years. The first 4 years nothing then my son got married and the stress the night of the rehearsal I had a full attack , by the grace of GOD I was able to get through the wedding , but then my mom got real ill and I had to travel and then she died three days later but that whole time I Was vertigo and throwing up then my dog died so for about 4 months I felt really off. Mine is definitely due to stress. The doctor put me on Prednisone and that really help plus low salt diet I Find 1500 mg a day is good for me and then exercise . Not good with sticking to that . In NOV, I had the sac operation behind my ear where they remove some bone to give more room for fluid. So far so good. No vertigo . knock on wood . Plus I pray everynight

Hope you feel better. It truly is the worst and really sucks

• Posted

Hi Brittany. I'm really sorry to hear you've had such a bad vertigo attack. Unfortunately I recognize what you're describing, so you shouldn't worry that it isn't normal, or what can possibly be expected, though everyone is different. If it's possible to take it easy for a few days following such an attack, that would be important. And I feel it's also important to try and not fall under it emotionally.

For some people these attacks can be very bad and happen very regularly, so the body has a hard job just trying to recover in between them.

Finding a medication, or other, that helps to control the symptoms is important, but I believe being well generally, aside from your menieres, is just as important.

I've menieres for 4.5 years and for the first four years I was just dealing with trying to cope the the symptoms. But I wasn't very well for much of that time, my energy was very low, and I felt powerless in the face of my condition.

I then joined this group and two others, and realized that people were trying all sorts of approaches and had all types of ways of dealing with their condition. It's not that I agreed with everything I read, but it helped me to start formulating my own response.

So for me, the important thing was to get back a sense of control in my life which menieres had taken from me. I felt I probably didn't have much control over my menieres, so it was important to take back control of those areas that I did have control over. I was going to become well and build a strong immune system, which is absolutely essential for health, whether one has menieres or not.

I eventually put together five things which I believed were the basic building blocks for health and well-being and I refer to them as my Big 5. They are:

diet; exercise; adequate, quality sleep; gut health; mental health.

I can honestly say that my health is the best it has been in perhaps a couple of decades. I still have menieres symptoms, though I haven't had any major attack. I've had a few very minor ones, which I was able to get over better and much quicker than was usual. I have fullness in my ear which has reduced my hearing, as well as some sound distortion. But that is separate to me being healthy and in control of my life. I feel empowered and it feels very good.

At the same time as I started my Big 5, I also started taking an antiviral medication which I will keep taking for a year. I can't honestly say that it is having an impact, but I will keep taking it.

My hope is that if I build up a strong enough immune system through my Big 5, that it will ultimately help to suppress my symptoms. But one way or the other, I will continue living my life by them.

I hope this might be of some help, and I wish you the very best.

• Posted

Hi Brittany. I have had menieres for 5 years. I have learned that I can manage the vertigo attacks by sticking to a low salt diet, taking 500mg Acyclovir daily, 2 gingko biloba pills daily, drinking a lot of water, and taking a dyazide diuretic pill whenever I feel like ive been eating too much salt from restaurant meals. During my 3rd year, I started getting persistent dizziness that would not go away. I still have it and cant seem to get rid of it. I am going to try the mineral oil cleanse to see if it helps. This disease causes a lot of depression, anger, and anxiety, but I try my best not to dwell on it. This past year has been my best year yet so I feel like theres a little hope for me now. Hang in there!

• Posted

High Brittany,

For me meniere's was like a cycle my right ear would feel really heavy

then i would have the attack of vertigo id feel a wetness in the ear and

and the vertigo would wear off leaving the dizziness and poor balance

but i was able to move about slowly inside my flat the weight in my ear

had gone and id feel light on headed,

i believe dizziness to be a reajustment of balance as when it wore off

i felt normal but the hole process would gradually start again..

I take betahistine, bendroflumethiade, and an anti histamine citrizine,

also buccal tablets to control the nausea..

In hospitals if you lay down for a long time they incourage you to get

up even if its for a few minutes because long periods of lying down can

cause dizziness..try to think of it as reajusting your balance a bit at a time,

it is hard to cope with meniere's but there are thing you can do in an attack to help

your self as in staying calm ..focus your breathing and talk yourself through it

as in (it will pass and your o.k.) you can manage the fear if you breath right -

there are plenty of video on copping with anxiety on youtube ..

so try not to let meniere's rule your life..the more you no about it the easier

it will be to cope..hope this is of some help..all the best stev...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.