Residual Problems after Vertigo, what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone, so I posted here before about the vertigo I experienced, but I'm still left with some symptoms. Last year I had vertigo around spring time after I woke up for a few seconds. I vomited and had diarrhea afterwards, but felt fine the next day. This time, I had vertigo in the beginning of May for around 5 seconds after waking up, but my ear felt plugged afterwards. I felt unbalanced after my vertigo attack and still feel unbalanced today. Although my unbalanced feelings have gotten better, my right eustachian tube is still hard to open/pop. I feel like I can always pop my left ear, but it is harder to get that relief in my right ear. It has been six months and I still don't feel 100% because everytime I walk I feel slightly unbalanced and sometimes like my foot sinks into the floor or the floor moves for a split second (gets worse throughout the day). My right ear is also really annoying me because it's not like how it used to be - no problems with popping it. I am so tired of feeling like this and it's really hard to keep up with my school work (I'm 20 years old and in university) when I always feel off. I noticed I had the slightest problem with popping my right ear before this all happened - don't know if that relates. I was on vacation in Montreal and a week after I got back home I woke up with a few seconds of vertigo and 6 months of torture. Don't know why it happened and why I still have these residual symptoms. 

Been to my family doctor who referred me to a ENT doctor and basically told me I have bppv without doing any tests. She stuck an endoscope up my nose and said everything looked fine and I had a hearing test with an audiologist who said my hearing was within normal ranges, although my left ear was slightly better at hearing. I had the ENT appointment in July and recently I went to my schools doctor for my right ear eustachian tube problems and feeling weird/unbalanced when I walk and basically told me I don't have bppv (without doing tests) and said I have ETD. She looked up my nose and said they looked like I was affected by allergies which is closing my eustachian tube and to just use nasal sprays (which my family doctor already prescribed for me), steam and antihistamines. She told me to only come back if I get tinnitus, which I only notice when I'm really tired or stressed and can only hear when I go to bed. I told her that and she said "so, no, you don't have tinnitus." 

Any success stories, advice, medication, exercises to make this go away will be EXTREMELY appreciated. 

Thank you!!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sarah this sounds a lot like what I’ve just had except my symptoms came on suddenly and over 8 weeks worsened until I had. 2 episodes where the vertigo was so bad I was on the floor for 3hours unable to move and throwing up. Over this 8 week period 3 doctors told me they could find nothing wrong until finally after the. 2episodes Ménière’s disease was diagnosed but still no treatment offered. Finally my sons dr to me about a drug called Betahistine (Serc) which has really helped a lot (still have the ringing in my ears) and diet esp salt and caffeine seem to make things worse, and stress. I had to ask my ENT to prescribe these drugs for me and I’m not readily getting information offered so trying google and forums like this to get as much info as I can. I hope this helps a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.