Respiratory, Hayfever and Hot weather conditions

Posted , 1 user is following.

Greetings all

Now that we are heading for the warmer weather, its time to share our experiences of what may help us tolerate the warmer weather better.

Air born pollutants are high at the moment in the form of pollen, I get hayfever and airway narrowing under these conditions and for this I take an anti histamine as required, I get these prescribed by my doctor and I find this medication helps a lot at this time of year or when pollen counts are high

I personally find that using an anti histamine allows me to go out and about without cause for concern about the high pollen counts.

It's a good idea to carry our reliever medicine with us at all times throughout the year as is advised and recommended by health professionals.

I do a newsletter for our local breathe easy group which includes some of my own and BLF's advice on looking after our lungs as the weather heats up, as our lung condition/s can be aggravated by heat, air born pollutants etc. Below are some of the tips you can use during this time of year and as the hotter weather approaches.

1. If you suffer from hay fever or any air born pollutants do speak with your doctor who may prescribe you with a suitable anti-histamine.

2. Take with you at all times reliever medicine and your mobile phone to use in cases of emergency.

3. Carry with you a business card on which is printed your name, ICE contact (ICE = in case of emergency), list your condition/s and your medications (heart, lung, diabetec meds etc) OR purchase a medic Alert item of jewellry which is linked to the emergency services.

4. Avoid going outside during the hottest times of day 12-2pm

5. Avoid excessive physical activity, or do it in the cooler ends of the day.

6. Keep the windows closed while the room is cooler than it is outside. If safe, open windows at night when the air is cooler.

7. When season is very hot and the sun is full on your windows, always keep the curtain drawn to try and keep in door temperatures down.

8. Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.

9. Drink water or fruit juice regularly (avoid alcohol, tea or coffee).

10. Wear loose, cool clothing and a hat if you go outdoors and remember to take any medication that you might need with you.

11. Avoid areas of high pollution – sunlight can react with pollutants to form especially harmful substances such as ozone and oxides of nitrogen.

12. Check pollution levels in your area.

13. Make sure you drink plenty of water and carry some with you when you are out.

14. If you suffer from hay fever badly during the summer you can check pollen levels by listening to your local weather news for details, check with the met office and seek your doctors advice and recommendation on what you should do personally in these circumstances.

Hope you find this information useful.

Take good care

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

[quote:52d3d2adea=\"Visitor\"]

I do a newsletter for our local breathe easy group which includes some of my own and BLF's advice on looking after our lungs as the weather heats up, as our lung condition/s can be aggravated by heat, air born pollutants etc. Below are some of the tips you can use during this time of year and as the hotter weather approaches.

[/quote:52d3d2adea]

Thank you June, I will be taking health precautions in the warmer weather as you so diligently and thoughtfully advise, I have found the advice on the B.L.F. very helpful too, they also have a busy helpline number that you forgot to mention.

I will try to get a copy of the newsletter if I can.

best wishes

:lol:

eddy

• Posted

Your welcome Ray
  • Posted

There's a BBC news item uk-13161431 with alerts for ozone polluting particles this Easter weekend, as below:

The government has issued a \"smog alert\" in England and Wales for ozone and polluting particles known as PM10s, which can affect people's health.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said high levels of pollution are expected from 1500 BST on Thursday and over the Easter weekend.

It said the alert was due to warm and still conditions brought on by a high pressure system.

Defra is urging the public to take \"sensible precautions\".

It said some people, including those who have asthma - and particularly the elderly - could be affected by the high pollution levels and may notice an impact on their breathing.

It advised people to avoid taking exercise outside in the afternoon if they are susceptible to the pollutants, and not to take unnecessary short car journeys in a bid to help reduce the build-up of ozone.

High temperatures

Defra said its freephone helpline - 0800 556677 - would give regular updates on the levels of particles, and also offer health advice to those who may be particularly sensitive to air pollution.

Of course this information is relevant for people with COPD / Emphysema / Chronic Bronchitis etc.

Take care all and have a Happy Easter.

• Posted

Information from : uk-air.defra.gov.uk

Latest UK Air Pollution Forecast

Air pollution is expected to continue Moderate (index 4) at rural and suburban background areas in Southern England and Wales tomorrow due to continuing bright and sunny conditions favouring the production of ground level ozone.

The situation is expected to remain unchanged for the next 24 hours.

Forecast valid until 28th April 2011

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.