Respiratory side effects from codeine (15mg) and sleep aid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am prescribed codeine for my restless legs at night. However, I have been using this to relieve my symptoms for well over a year now and I am worried about the long term effects on my health. So, I decided to try an alternative - sleep aid. Tonight was particularly bad so I took 50mg of the doxylamine sleep aid tablets (2). As that was still not helping, aprox 3 hours later I took one 15mg codeine tablet.

It has now been 4 hours since I took the codeine and about 7 since I had the sleep aid. When I try to sleep, I can feel my breathing slow and occasionally I slightly jolt myself awake as if I hadn’t been getting enough oxygen.

I’ve read about respiratory depression with codeine but I’ve never experienced something like this before so I thought it might have been a reaction to the sleep aid combination. I could be overthinking it but it is scaring me a little to the point where I don’t want to sleep. It’s now 4am so unfortunately I won’t be able to function very well tomorrow. Regardless, please let me know what I should do e.g. if caffeine or something would help. It doesn’t feel like an appropriate reaction to the amount I’ve taken but I would love a confirmation so that I can sleep without worry. Thanks,

Stephanie

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sleeping pills cause heart problems to a degree. This is why doctors do not prolong taking them. They are like antibiotics and have similar effects to the body as antibiotics. They are treated in a similar way by doctors with prescribing. What you need to do is try healthier alternatives to prescribed sleep aids. This may help you in the short term and long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.