Restarted sertraline and having a hard time

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm needing some advice and some encouragement. I am 40 years old and have a wonderful husband and two sons. In 2013 I went through my first and very bad depression with anxiety. Also had some OCD thoughts. Battled with it for two months before I sought any help. Finally started sertraline at 25mg and increased by 25mg until I reached 100mg. Took about two months, but I got completely better. Stayed on the drug until October 2019. I weaned myself down, didn't have any withdrawal. In late January of this year I was feeling real moody and when my husband mentioned my moodiness, I thought maybe I should reinstate the zoloft. So I took 1 50mg pill and another 50mg pill the next day. However, following these two pills I had the worst 24/7 anxiety. It scared me so i didn't take anymore. Went to my doctor a few days later and he told me to start back up on 50 for 1 week then 100 thereafter. I started on the 50 and stayed on it for two weeks. The start up was rough but by 4-5 days I was starting to level and the anxiety had come down a lot. This past Monday I upped my dose to 75mg and since Tuesday I have been feeling horrible. I wasn't depressed before, just had bad anxiety, but now not only is my anxiety bad again but I'm feeling really low too. I'm really scared, I know the meds take time to adjust and work. When I first started the drug in 2013 I was already anxious and depressed, maybe that's why I didn't notice those particular side effects. Any way, just real unsure and need some advice or maybe just some reassurance that I just need to continue. Sorry for such a long story!! Thanks for any help!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi im also 40 years old. I was on celexa and it pooped out on me in August since then tried many different meds nothing has worked. However I suffer from panic disorder, anxiety disorder, and depression. I was on zoloft many years ago had no side effects worked in 2 weeks and eventually went off . So i restarted it 4 weeks ago at 25mg for 2 weeks had a little heightned anxiety. 1 week on 50 mg that was horrific. Im very sensitive to meds so my doc put me down to 25mg and for the past 5 days my panic and anxiety has hit an all time high. Its constant. But since you seemed to be doing ok on 50 why dont you just lower it back down. Im not sure what I am going to do next since Im already on a baby dose and having severe symptoms.

• Posted

I've thought about going back to the 50, but I was on 100mg for 6 years and that's what it took last time. Since I've only been on the 75mg for 4 days, I want to wait to see if I balance out. I have Ativan to take which helps a lot when I feel very panicky. It's possible if you go back to 50mg after a week or so your anxiety will lessen. Do you have something you can take for anxiety? I really don't want to go backwards on the drug because I don't want to set myself back. I just don't remember having an effect like this last time, but then again last time I was already depressed and anxious. I would talk to your doctor, but if I were you, I would go back on the 50mg and try to tough out the anxiety. At least for 2 weeks, and if you don't have one, ask your doctor for a Benzo to take for the anxiety until the zoloft kicks in. I've been praying for myself and I will pray for you too. Keep in touch with me and we can see how we are both coming along!! Thanks for replying!!

• Posted

hi thanks for you reply. I am very scared to go

to 50 because the 25 mg is giving me constant panic anxiety and insomnia. I have had to up my benzos starting this med. Not sure if I should comtinue on it. Inhave tried so manu others and nothingnis helping this time around

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.