Restarting citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went off citalopram a few months ago, restarting because I'm anxious and my bladder problem came back. Citalopram instrumental in keeping it under control. Called painful bladder syndrome. Anyone else restart citalopram? What happened?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have stopped citalopram twice and restarted due to pregnancies. When you restart it's basically the same as the first time...it's different for everyone in regards to side effects and how long it takes for the med to come into full effect. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks, tried it with herbs, helping a little, I need something to take care of that underlying anxiety. Did you go back on because of anxiety or depression? I got on celexa 9 yrs ago or so, don't remember the side effects of any. Do you get anxiety when you go back on?

• Posted

Ive been on it twice and both time I got heightened anxiety for the first one to two weeks and I had bad anxiety to start with so I had to take diazepam to help me through those first two weeks. Some people get headaches, increased tiredness or insomnia but we’re all different so you may not get these.

• Posted

I take primarily for anxiety. Yes, each time I have restarted I have heightened anxiety insomnia lack of appetite and super tired. This pat for me usually 3 weeks. My Doc prescribed me xanax for the transition. I would take one before bed here and there so that I could relax enough to sleep. Hang in there
  • Posted

Hi Nancy. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for side effects being the same as your first time.

My own experience has been that this time, I have had heightened anxiety, whereas that wasn't a side effect before.

When restarting, I have felt more depressed for a little while, also. Spaced out, crying spikes, forgetfulness. But it passes, and it's important to remember it's part of the drug effects, before they start to lift you/even things out. You have to be prepared to give it time to work. Wishing you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.