Restarting citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on citalopram 10mg for pnd around 2 years ago, weaned off about 3 months ago. everything came crashing down again a few weeks ago, where I was constantly on edge, not able to relax and not eating. i restarted on 10mg 21 days ago, with a 20mg increase on day 17 after suicidal thoughts. I just cannot see myself getting better, I have no desire to eat and when i try to eat i sometimes vomit which makes me anxious as I'm terrified of getting an eating disorder or never eating properly again. I can't stop thinking about the lack of food even on days when I'm managing bits of toast etc I'm waking up so hungry and nauseous. I have a child to look after too and finding this so much harder than the 1st time. I have no motivation whatsoever and am finding it hard to see the light atm. I just want to enjoy life again. please can someone reassure me that this can get better?

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie, am so sorry to hear about your struggles, I have read a lot on here that it can take 6-8 weeks to start settling on these so you are halfway there. Did anything trigger your anxiety? there is information regarding protracted withdrawal on the internet and am wondering if that has affected you, its well worth checking out.

You will settle, but it takes time so hang in there. I have also read that benzo's can help with start up side affects, so could be worth speaking to your doctor.

All the best with this.

• Posted

hi katie i am in the same boat but your infront of me a little , im on day 5 of my second go at citlopram i also never remember it being this hard, but i am focussing on the fact i come out of the other side last time feeling ok , im not the best for offereing reasurance as all i want is the same at the moment , but theres a lot of lovely people on here thats been where we are and come out of it feeling a lot better

• Posted

If you and James get a chance I think you can read over my old posts when I first joined. I genuinely thought that this was going to be my life. That I'd never feel normal again. I ate little to nothing for the best part of 3 weeks and I'm type 1 diabetic, I survived. When I could I drank slimming world shakes & drank plenty of water.

Katie, I felt the exact same as you and I have a 4 & a 1 year old and when I was at my worst I couldn't even look at them, never mind look after them. My anxiety took over my life, my head, my ability to feel emotions. But after a couple of months on cit things started to get better & better each day....it took time and a bucket load of will power but I got there....and you and James will too!! I was given a small dose of Diazepam and it helped massively, it would be worth asking your GP's guys. Good Luck...you WILL get there.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. It's just so hard especially at this time of year it makes it so much more consuming as I'm already working myself up at the fact I won't be able to eat my Xmas dinner . the heightened anxiety is driving me mad, im overthinking everything. I just wish I could just switch a switch and be calm and happy and enjoy my family. I have everything crossed that this medication will work again so I can go back to work etc. as that's another worry.

James - I really feel for you too. I am now on day 22, day 6 of 20mg. I find the evenings are more bearable but I don't know if that's just relief at getting through another day. Really forcing myself to get up and dressed and about the house, i really miss being on the go all the time. Hope you are starting to feel a bit better today. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.