Restarting citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all I have recently joined. i posted a while ago sbout whether to restart citalopram. i have bitten the bullet and. I have started taking the cit again. This is day 4. Did 2 days of 5mg and yesterday took 10. Feeling really anxious in the mornings. Worrying that’s it’s not going to work again and I’ll be stuck with feeling like this. Just need some reassurance that it will work a second time and the anxiety will go. . Many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have started and stopped and started again a few times as well. Taking 40 mg. The Anxiety took a few weeks, but did go away.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Actually feeling anxious and panicky all day today. Should I persist with it? Did others have this? I dont remember feeling this anxious when I started it last time tho i was provably worse when i started it the first time so didnt notice as much of a difference

• Posted

Hi, Like yourself i've reluctantly restarted Cit. (because of worries about side effects and doubting whether this helps relieve anxiety and with lifting low moods). Can't say that i'm feeling any more anxious in the mornings as during any other time during the day however feel very groggy first thing and am waking up with headaches every morning. Guess everyone's affected differently and you are finding that you are extremely anxious. what I would say however is that its very early days for you to be getting any benefits from taking Cit. Think that i've been taking them from 6 weeks now and this is when the relief is meant to start (unless mistaken it takes 6 to 8 weeks to take effect).

I'd say try and remain positive (feeling like a hypocrite saying this as I find focusing on positive things very difficult) allow the Cit. to run its course and hopefully you will feel better.

HTH.

• Posted

Hi Tamsin , like yourself I have been on & off cit for years,but now I have found a happy medium, I take 5mg every evening & have decided to keep doing so & hey , lifes getting better !

• Posted

thats great and gives me hope ! Did your anxiety get worse initially when restarting? Mine has been terrible today and I need some reassurance that it will go away

• Posted

Just 1st thing on a morning Tasmin but that has diminished now also, if you havent got an early morning job to go to,try a nice walk in the countryside I'm lucky & live next to the lake district & have the mountain walks working their magic.

• Posted

Hi Tamsin I'm in the same place as you right now 5 days in and feeling really anxious and not sleeping very well. I remember the same feelings last time I started them so hopefully they will ease in the next week or so. Hope you feel better soon. Paul

• Posted

thanks Paul sounds like we are at exactly the same stage. I really hope it does ease off soon for both of us and the meds kick in

• Posted

i haven't taken it before started it just over 5 weeks ago. felt awful first 8 days or so, anxiety racked up and affected sleep. it did go off think it's quite common when you first start it as your body get used to it. Good Luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.