Restarting Sertraline.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks,

I was on sertraline for 22 years at 150mg dose before it was discontinued due to efficacy concerns in March of this year. The medication was tapered over three weeks and I went on to Duloxetine. The sertraline withdrawals however were brutal and my psych thought Duloxetine was not working and replaced this with Ecsotalipram, which lasted two weeks as I couldn't tolerate it. It's now three months since I stopped Sertraline and I am getting worse by the day -- nausea, loose bowels, agitation and constant anxiety attacks. I am currently taking 9mg of Diazepam to get through the day. My psych is now recommending that I go back on Sertraline. I presumed to help resolve the withdrawals. She states that is this part of the rationale but also that it might work again after a break. I am unsure on the later point. As anyone heard of drug working again after a break?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello, yes it has worked for me after a break. I have come off (or taken so infrequently it was essentially a break) a few times and it has worked again after a time. I feel like it has taken longer to work when returning to it but it did work eventually (6/7 weeks)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.