Restarting Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was prescribed Venlafaxine 2 years ago but didn't have much luck with it, my GP has given it again to me today to try again for my anxiety.  Do you think it could work if it didn't before?? I am a little confused....

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It can do. I took sertraline for many years. I found it effective. But taking it again years later didn't go well at all. If you are really worried, speak to your gp again.

• Posted

I was ramped up quite quickly before in doseage, 75mg - 4 weeks - 150mg 6 weeks and 225 not very long as I couldn't handle the side effects.  Perhaps I didn't give each dose time to work (to be honest I felt the best on 75mg)

• Posted

Yea I think sometimes the dose gets high to quickly. Your body doesn't have time to get used to it and the side affects. I wanted to go up after 6 weeks, but I waited a further month and the dosage 100 mg in total is good for me. I do find them brilliant, but they do take time to work.

I found the extreme anxiouty I was having subsided very quickly but as far as it completely going and feeling normal again, that took some time.

One day at a time ?.

• Posted

Valid question. If a proper attempt is made on the drug by an experienced doctor and collaborative patient smile and it doesn't work, normally no doctor will prescribe it again. However, the reason why trying it again in your case is likely a great call in my humble opinion is because you were upped in 75 mg increments which is often not well tolerated. Ideally the Dr will use a more patient 37.5 increment approach for this exercise ( unless ofcourse you are suicidal or have harm tendencies). Another reason it is a great call is that trying multiple drugs blurs the clinical picture and is reserved for when the perceived best first choice of action definitively fails. Relax, hope for the best. It is a great medicine, but slow acting and quite moody to start with as you already may have learned. Please keep us posted. Also would you mind sharing what you are taking it for - more depression or more anxiety and whether you have taken other medication in the past?

• Posted

Thank you for your informative response, I am taking it for anxiety. When I used it before I was in denial as to what my anxiety was about now I know I need to go to counselling to deal with the issues as well. I didn't have any side effects from venlafaxine at all 🙌. I was prescribed by a psychiatrist who ramped up my doseage very quickly, he seems to think 75mg was a too small dose to deal with anxiety?? I think I need to give each doseage more time to respond, however I am also scared this may be another waste of time. I have tried sertraline, fluoxetine, escitalopram and one other I can't remember. Just feelImg a bit stuck at the moment!

• Posted

I am guessing he thought that you have a complicated clinical background having already tried a number of different psychotropics. See my questions below. You hold the answer. For a psychiatrist to do this there has to be a good reason. I am quite sure there is something we are missing here.
  • Posted

I went back to my GP and asked the question as to whether I should restart the venlafaxine.  He thought it was a good idea although has started me on 75mg in the morning and 75mg at night.  Surely this is too high?  Have only taken 37.5mg so far today - I am assuming he has given me the immediate release version instead of the extended release, hence why I have to take it twice a day
    • Posted

yes he has given you IR most likely.

Something doesn't fit. Venlafaxine is never started at 150 for non-critical cases. What are your symptoms. Are you sure your diagnosis is plain GAD? Any OCD or bi-polar tendencies? Any harm or self-harm ideation?

• Posted

Did you have any psychotic episodes (hearing/seeing things) anything othher than extreme anxiety? Are you able to sleep? Are you able to talk and leave the house? What is the most extreme of your symptoms?
    • Posted

No I have no psychotic episodes, I am definitely not bipolar either it is just anxiet that is now starting to get me down 😪

• Posted

I have plain old Anxiety, nothing psychotic, dont have OCD although when my anxiety is really bad I have intrusive thoughts.  I don't even have depression or even if I do it is very mild.  yes, i can leave the house and still manage to work from home.  My anxiety is centred around self esteem and worry about what other people think about me.  Needless to say my GP's are not the best, I will only be taking half a tablet and will start low and see how I get on.

• Posted

Well Million. It worked for me first time so I can only suggest you do give it a second try! it does take a few weeks time kick in Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.