Restasis multidose

Posted , 8 users are following.

This might apply only to people in the US because I don't know if you have Restasis multi-dose in the UK or other countries.

I am using Restasis multi-dose for the first time. I have used the kind that comes in daily vials before, so I'm not new to this drug just new to this version of this drug. So my question is, has anyone had a problem with the bottle lasting a full month? I use it to put one drop in each eye twice a day and I'm almost out and I still have 21 days left to go before I can fill it again. I don't miss my eye with a drop very often but I do occasionally. I could probably say that I've missed less than five times. So I don't know what to do. But I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

No I have not had a problem with Ciclosporin/Restasis drops lasting for the full month. Obviously they need to be kept refrigerated but in terms of quantity I have never had a problem.....even though I would often put several drops on my cheeks and one drop in each eye. 🤣 

I’d be inclined to speak with your pharmacist to clarify what's going on. For instance ask them how many mls they put in the bottle?

• Posted

It sounds like you're using the vials not just a bottle of drops. You see I used the vials for quite a while. My problems started when the company started making the drops in a bottle instead of a vial. The bottle version is called multi-dose. And the bottle itself is the problem. And as far as keeping them refrigerated the pharmacist said not to refrigerate the multi-dose bottle. When I was using the vials I did keep them in the refrigerator. And although it was not necessary to keep them there I did because it was actually refreshing to my eyes for it to be cool.

• Posted

I received one bottle from the pharmacist which lasted for one month (28 days) then needed to be discarded once the month was up. The hospital pharmacy dispensed the Ciclosporin (freshly made up) themselves. It is a dedicated eye and ear hospital.

The bottle was given to me with a cold pack and with instructions to refrigerate as soon as I arrived home.

The drops were 12 hourly and stung for the first few seconds after insertion.

i have never had ampoules/vials of Ciclosporin although I do have single use ampoules for other lubricating/viscous eyedrops.

• Posted

I am prescribed Ikervis single use drops in the UK, there are 30 vials in a box.  I am only prescribed one drop/each eye at night.  I am not aware of of the multidose bottle here.  I have only come across something similar with lubricating eye drops - Hyabak, which is supposed to contain 300 drops.  I haven't counted them!

As you suggest, we have a different system in the UK, so if I was to have the multidose & it didn't last as it should, my doctor would prescribe me a new bottle, so I wouldn't run out.  I will be interested to see any replies you get.

• Posted

Evidently my description was not very good. You are using vials just like I used to use vials. And one vial would last for the day with there being enough in the vial to treat your eyes in the morning and in the evening. But the company that makes Restasis has made a new version which comes in one bottle that is to last the entire month. Well that is the kind of delivery system that I am having a problem with. I don't think I even have enough to treat my eyes after today. And I just bought the bottle on August 29th. I don't think I even missed my eye more than 5 times in the entire time that I've been using this bottle. Very very frustrating since I paid $180 for this bottle that only lasted me a couple of weeks.

• Posted

I understood what you were saying & I said that we don't appear to have the new type of delivery system in this country, that you have spoken of.  I mentioned the Hyabak lubricating drops, which use the same system & allegedly have 300 drops in them but I can't count them.  But in the UK if I run out of drops because there aren't as many as they say, then my doctor will prescribe me some more but our NHS system is different from the systems in other countries.

Are the vials no longer available to you?

• Posted

I am sorry amkoffee but I never heard of this drug.  Talk with your doctor and try to "Google" information about this drug.  Blessings, donna

• Posted

I don't think the country is all that relevant, since there is clearly something wrong here if you have such a major shortfall.

First of all - have I understood correctly? It sounds from your post as if you've used a full month's supply in only 9 days (if you have 21 days before you can fill the scrip again). I don't know a lot about restasis (in any presentation) but I do know that multi-dose containers of any drops always budget for at least 25% "misses". This makes me wonder whether what was dispensed wasn't a one-week supply instead of one month.

If I were in your place I'd start by going back to the pharmacist and asking how long the bottle was supposed to last. Then I'd call the doctor who prescribed it and discuss the problem with them. Misunderstandings can arise between doctors and pharmacists, and pharmacists can get things wrong too. (UK readers will be aware of the recent scandals concerning dispensing errors by the heretofore sainted Bo ots pharmacy chain!)

• Posted

I thought of calling the pharmacist and have not yet done that. I know that it was a month supply because the pharmacist came to the window when I picked it up and explain to me that I didn't have to refrigerate it as long as I used it up within 30 days and it was supposed to last. I have thrown out the bottle and I should not have. Since it's a sealed bottle and not something she actually fills it would have been the manufacturer who screwed up and didn't fill the bottle all the way, not the pharmacy. So maybe getting ahold of the company that makes it is the way to go. But when I Googled it I came up with a lot of people posting that they had the same problem with the Restasis multi-dose bottle that I did. My eye doctor had no problem calling in a prescription for the vials and insurance paid for it since it was a different form. I was afraid I wouldn't have any insurance coverage until the end of my 30 days but since it was a different form then the bottle they covered it, well at least most of it i still had to pay my co-pay of course. That bottle cost me $180 and only lasted about 10 to 15 days!

• Posted

Hmmm... regardless of what the pharmacist said, I'd still want to make quite sure they didn't make a dispensing error. As I said in my earlier post, it has been known to happen - at least in the UK, and I suspect sloppy pharmacists exist all over the world. Getting hold of the manufacturer sounds like a good idea too. I'd also google the brand, to check out whether it exists in both one-week and one-month quantities. That might give you a clue.

• Posted

I just went back on the single dose delivery from the multi-dose because I had difficulty with the cost and handling of the vial. I didn't have any issues with not having enough product and I agree that going back to your pharmacist is the place where I would start. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.