Resting Heart Rate 130-160; Thoughts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I am a 22-year-old otherwise healthy female. About a year ago, I was getting some routine blood work and the physician noted my heart rate to be elevated to 135 at rest. I monitored it throughout the next year or so, and this seemed to be a common thing. At rest, I would frequently find my heart rate to be between 120-140. A couple of months ago, I was sick with a stomach flu. After 2 weeks of nausea and diarrhea, I went to an urgent care. They referred me to an emergency room, as my heart rate at that time was 155. It remained 155 in the ED, after fluids it improved but only to 125. The ED physician was very concerned and prompted me to see my primary care physician as soon as possible. I had some blood work done at the time, not too remarkable - elevated lactic acid, elevated platelets but everything else was within normal values. I saw my primary care physician the following week, and he did an EKG and TSH - both normal, other than sinus tachycardia on the EKG. He told me not to worry. My parents remained concerned so I saw another primary care physician in September of this year. They gave me a 48-hour Holter monitor. I recently received the results, and they informed me that the only abnormality was the rate, often times reaching 160. For some extra reference, I am very active with a healthy diet. I am not anxious or stressed. I am asymptomatic for the most part, but I do experience some occasional light headedness and shortness of breath, but I am generally able to exercise without a problem. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I also have increased fatigue and very frequent headaches. Should I seek further follow-up about this elevated heart rate? If so, what would you suggest? My primary care physician who ordered the Holter monitor also did not seem concerned and did not suggest any follow-up.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't think it would hurt to see a cardiologist. I'm not a doctor but if your heart is constantly racing SVT it hardly has time to completely relax. I'm on a beta blocker for higher HR and Diostolic dysfunction. I would go see a cardiologist just to be sure but that's just me.

• Posted

Thanks for the input!

• Posted

Do you take any medication? Either pharmaceutical or herbal?

• Posted

The only medications I take are birth control and probiotics, nothing else!

• Posted

Are you on the combined pill? If you are it might not be a bad idea getting a d-dimer blood test. My pulse used to race and it turned out I had multiple pulmonary emboli from the contraceptive pill. It can have some quite serious side effects. Do you get any chest pains or have any trouble taking in a deep breath?

• Posted

Yes I am on the combined pill. I will ask for a D-dimer, thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.