Resting heartrate

Posted , 6 users are following.

Resting heartrate question. At night or first thing in the morning my heartrate is usually 60 OR 66 but during the day, its closer to 76/78

obviously id like it to be closer to the 60s

when i say during the day, i mean sitting at my desk at work, or driving in the car

im mildly active

are there ways to lower my heart rate?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Some people have lower resting heart rates and others higher, athletes can have extremely low heart rate. I was about 65 but now about 83 since I have gained weight, I spoke to my Dr and he has said it is not a massive convern but the weight is a big contributor as is stress, alcohol and smoking.

Have started taking apple cider vinegar capsules as cant stomach it with water but this is meant to help also could try cutting salt and getting more potassium (bananas) this helps the heart and blood pressure.

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh,

The increase you be described is actually minimal. First thing in the morning is your true resting heart rate, at work there are other factors to contend with including stress, motion, etc...

Put it this way, I do a lot of gym work, 5 times per week and my resting heart rate is around 65 but randomly my heart rate will jump to 100+ - 120 max, then it reduced after a bit. I'm getting an ECG and 24hr tape for these "attacks" as the GP called them.

Personally I would say if you're wanting to reduce your heart rate, do cardio workouts but if you're wanting to reduce at work then take time during your day to relax at work, take yourself out of the office to reduce stimuli that can prompt your body to increase your heart rate.

Personally I'd happily keep a heart rate of 78 during the day if I could.

• Posted

Close your mouth and nose and raise the pressure in your chest, like you're stifling a sneeze. Breathe in for 5-8 seconds, hold that breath for 3-5 seconds, then exhale slowly. Repeat several times. Raising your aortic pressure in this way will lower your heart rate.

• Posted

How do I breath if pinching/stopping my nose and leaving mouth shut?

• Posted

The person is correct about arotic pressure... Google it and find a YouTube video for visual demonstrations.

• Posted

I just have to say... not arotic and definitely didn't mean erotic 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.