Restless and burning feet

Posted , 5 users are following.

For many years I have suffered from restless legs and burning feet at night it disturbs my sleep I have to get up two or three times each night to stretch my legs to relieve the aching has anyone any ideas to help me. I should add I am 76 years old and quite active during the daytime I very rarely sit around. This only happens at night.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have recently learned that I am iron deficient anemic. And doing my research on it on the internet one of the symptoms is restless legs. There was no mention of the burning feet. But it's nothing but a simple blood test to find out. And if it's a side effect of anemia maybe it's a side effect of another condition too. There's also been a lot of people who get relief from aching legs by taking magnesium. You might want to give that a try.

• Posted

~Thank you so much for your reply.  I have had blood tests covering all anomalies and all have come back normal.  I have spoken to my GP about it and all she has said is that as we get older the veins flatten out and it is difficult for blood to circulate when we are resting. Whether or not that is true I just don't know. Also you comment about Magnesium rings true as I too found that on the internet but before taking this I think I will return to my GP and get her advice.  I don't like taking pills and tablets at the best of times so I do not want to take something unnecessarily if that is not the cause, but it gives me something to think about so thank you very much.

• Posted

I also find high does magnesium helpful especaiily if I have eaten  a main meal later than usual in the evening or richer than usual which makes legs worse
    • Posted

thank you for your suggestion, another reader also suggested taking Magnesium and I had read on the internet about this too.  I will refer back to my GP and ask her advice before taking any pills, as I dislike taking any pills at any time and have always kept myself fit, so you can imagine it is so frustrating feeling so tired every day because I have had broken sleep during the night.  I thank you very much for your input and will definitely look into it. Maybe that is the answer.  Perhaps I should ask for another blood test to see if I am deficient in Magnesium, it could be a possibility.
    • Posted

Actually if you like you can get a bit of magnesium through an Epsom salts soak - either a bath or a foot bath.  The skin absorbs the magnesium quite efficiently and you will have had the extra benefit of a relaxing warm soak. 🛁

• Posted

Oh wow that's brilliant I will buy some Epsom salts and try it with a foot bath as we took our bath out and installed a shower instead to save water. Didn't realise that Epsom salts contained magnesium si thank you for that tip. It us getting me down now and impacting in what i want to do during the day because I get so tired

• Posted

I forgot to mention to you something that I have found helpful and not a drug or supplement. I bought some compression socks that go up to my knees. I put them on at night when I'm laying on my couch watching TV. This is when my lower legs will start to hurt. You might discuss this with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.