Restless leg at night

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am only 3 weeks post TKR and at night, my leg gets so restless I can't keep it still. I straighten it, I bend it, I straighten it, I bend it, all within limitations of course. it keeps me from getting comfortable and falling asleep.

anyone else get this, and advise on stopping it? it only ends up making my knee hurt so counter productive for sure!

and I'm tired!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks post TKR and have developed restless leg syndrome. I take tramadol which helps it. I'm told it does wear off!!

• Posted

I remember experiencing this. I elevated my leg on pillows which helped with both the restlessness and swelling. Are you elevating it?

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your restless leg I have suffered with the same thing on and off since having TKR surgery

my doc prescribed gabapentin and it does help

good luck to you!

• Posted

I had this for several weeks post TKR kept me awake at night. I found an ice pack around it during the day at intervals and before bed helped. I also used an ice pack during the night when it was bad. My leg has improved, I am week eleven, but it still has its moments. I take Codeine and Paracetamol which helps from my GP.

• Posted

hiya im 6 weeks post op i still get restless legs i elevate and ice before and in bed i find it helps

• Posted

Feeling sorry as being patient of TKR (around 19 weeks back) I myself suffered samiler syndrome. However I did manage by icing proir to sleep & keep a soft pillow between legs during sleep especially while sleeping with side pasture(leg on each other & keeping pillow between.

stay blessed & have speedy recovery.

• Posted

I too experience this especially in the evening I apply ice to my knee sometimes it helps often doesn't. Did ask my PT and he said that lots of nerves had been cut and it is the body repairing itself but a small price to pay to be pain free.

• Posted

Oh my, I know that feeling. I have used some antibiotic gel rubbed into my skin. Also getting into a chair with the TV on for distraction plus a muscle relaxer called titanadine or a capsule of gabapentin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.